Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StateOfUK
    • By StateOfUK 12th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    StateOfUK
    National Insurance Credits Waste OF Time
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    National Insurance Credits Waste OF Time 12th Oct 17 at 7:27 PM
    Hi all my partner of 14 years and 2 children later used to work in a convenience store until held up with at gunpoint in an armed robbery.

The lady at the job centre to be fair has been brilliant and the DWP have been awful.

Iíve been preparing her for being stitched onto Jobseekers and although shy and timid she has come on from the support group and being suicidal and barely functioning to a point I feel applying Job seekers pressure will cause harm.

I have second property which is a renovation project bought outright and no loans needed to complete it.

My thoughts are she drives my car and it has fuel in it, I could set up a joint account and there would be my money in it to pay for food etc.

Why would she want to go to a WCA which we all know is completely BS, when I can cover the money she had on support group with ease.

Also as it is our new second home it isnít work or a job site- therefore other than crappy national insurance contributions towards a worthless pension at a later date- whatís the point of an assessment?

Further to this the refurb is 2 years so in grand scheme of things DWP will not be up her backside with a load of harassment and if she straightened herself out could be self employed later on.

If we ever split I could pay the 2 years of NI if an issue- but I see it as worthless

Your thoughts please
Page 1
    • NYM
    • By NYM 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    NYM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    My thoughts?

It's very ermm, generous of you to support your partner and the mother of your children. Yes, very ....generous.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    It’s completely up to her if she wants to claim benefits or not.
    • StateOfUK
    • By StateOfUK 12th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    StateOfUK
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    She had a Job centre advisor before I ever knew her and it’s pretty heartless unless you have seen the effects of mental health first hand.

If it makes you feel better my current account has six digits in it, I could easily employ her if she was ready and capable in our business. Sadly I think 16 - 20 hours a week in a people free environment are about her limit.

If you can supply her a job that her mental heath problems can manage- be my guest.

You can’t help who you fall in love with and I’m in a privileged position to be able to remove her from the disgusting situation that DWP / government create currently as UN reported on.

I’m sorry if at 38 my house is paid off, my business is profitable and I can afford a second home to move into at a later date.

Hard work will get you what you want with a little charm and luck.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 12th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    Do you honestly think anyone on here cares what your bank balance is?

Do you actually have a question about benefit entitlement or do you just want a pat on the back?
    • cte1111
    • By cte1111 12th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 7,184 Posts
    • 377,169 Thanks
    cte1111
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    How old are your children? If the child benefit is in your partner's name and your youngest child is under 12, then she will be automatically receiving NI credits.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility
    • konark
    • By konark 12th Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    konark
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    Sorry if I'm missing something here but if you have a successful business and a second property your partner will not be eligible for JSA so won't be getting any hassle from the DWP.

They can sign on for NI contributions if they want to but will have to prove they are looking for work. How much hassle they will get is debatable, they may apply a 'light touch' as no other benefits are claimed..
    • StateOfUK
    • By StateOfUK 13th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    StateOfUK
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    [QUOTE=cte1111;73253611]How old are your children? If the child benefit is in your partner's name and your youngest child is under 12, then she will be automatically receiving NI credits.

At last a sensible reply and thank you.

For those who donít understand Mental health issues It is hard to explain.
    My partner obsessed on locked windows and doors as frightened of someone breaking in, we have moved to point she now is more settled.

1) can drive ( it took a long time to get her to feel safe to do this) and only to relatives.
    2) she just about manages a supermarket early evenings with someone there
    3) The windows are open in summer and backdoor unlocked
    4) managed to get her to do a list of things when I drop her off at other property

Being held up for her was worse than the guy who robbed the store- he got a sentence and carried on with his life.

Progress has been really slow and I half wish from the comments Removed from the thread that I had never posted here.

I hope in 24 months she can either join my company or get a job of her choice, I donít think 20k a year for nothing would help her in the long run and the 2500 square feet will be our next home- plenty of things to do as semi derelict and looking to spend fair bit on improvements.
    • StateOfUK
    • By StateOfUK 13th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    StateOfUK
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    Sorry if I'm missing something here but if you have a successful business and a second property your partner will not be eligible for JSA so won't be getting any hassle from the DWP.

They can sign on for NI contributions if they want to but will have to prove they are looking for work. How much hassle they will get is debatable, they may apply a 'light touch' as no other benefits are claimed..
    Originally posted by konark
    Pass -reams of toilet paper in the post to her, will print tax credit link posted in thread and tell DWP to take a jump.
    Last edited by StateOfUK; 13-10-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    • fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 13th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    fishybusiness
    Have I missed something?

Why are you even involving the benefits system, pay the NI contributions up, keep them topped up, ensure your partner has access to money, maybe support her through therapy, and above all, give her time without DWP intervention.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin