Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 12th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 3,287Posts
    • 2,015Thanks
    glider3560
    Cold lunches for work
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    Cold lunches for work 12th Oct 17 at 7:22 PM
    I normally cook a big pot of something for tea, freeze some and portion an good amount for lunch the next day. It works well and fills me up.

However, the kitchen area at work is filthy. I microwave with the lid on but loose, so splashes don't dirty it. We've now been told that everyone using the microwave, fridge or sink must sign up for a cleaning rota, or else not use these facilities. There are some incredibly messy people here, and it does not seem right to have to clear up when I'm tidy, so I have opted out of using the kitchen.

My work is in the absolute middle of nowhere. The nearest civilisation is a Sainsbury's, about 6 miles away. Good store (large hot counter, cafe, sushi counter), but too far to travel to each day. The on-site canteen only serves one hot meat option and one hot veg option each day, which are normally very basic cheap foods (e.g. meat or veg burger, fish & chips, reformed chicken in breadcrumbs, etc).

That means I now need to think of things to eat that taste nice cold.

So far, I've done:
    • sandwiches
    • bake at home baguettes with various fillings
    • jacket potato with tuna mayo (tuna was ok, but potato not nice cold)
    • cous cous (not very filling)
    • pasta (just about ok cold, but not great)
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I eat quite big portions, so find salads don't really fill me up. I'm bored with sandwiches already.

Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 12th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 53,043 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    What about something like this and you can have hot food at work
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Flask-Midnight/dp/B001ET6P9Q
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 60,291 Posts
    • 352,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    Cup a soups are nice; if opting out of the kitchen also means you've no access to the kettle, take your own flask of plain hot water to add to the sachet.

Other cold stuff that's nice:
    Cheese triangles
    Frittata, as a slice, or as a pitta/baguette filling
    Quiche is lovely cold - ditto pizza.
    Pasta salad, layered salad ... just concentrate on layers/items that are tasty and filling (e.g. boiled eggs, potato salad, cheese, pasta)

You can buy food flasks, which have a very wide neck, so you just unscrew the top and eat directly from it. The more expensive/branded ones will also say they keep stuff hot for 24 hours, so "until lunchtime" will be OK.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,935 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:04 PM
    Your employer is legally required to provide certain welfare facilities at work, and to keep them clean.

This includes a supply of drinking water and a means of heating food or water for hot drinks.

The fridge and microwave (if there is also a kettle) may be negotiable, but they can't stop you using the sink for water (unless there is a separate drinking water supply).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 23,566 Posts
    • 49,325 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    Your employer is legally required to provide certain welfare facilities at work, and to keep them clean.

This includes a supply of drinking water and a means of heating food or water for hot drinks.

The fridge and microwave (if there is also a kettle) may be negotiable, but they can't stop you using the sink for water (unless there is a separate drinking water supply).
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Apart from the legal requirement, it would be nice if the employer encouraged people to treat the place like home, ie to leave the kitchen as you would like to find it.

And re-think the couscous - add lots of salad veggies, tomatoes and pesto to it - or try bulgar wheat instead. I promise you it will keep you going until the end of the day if you eat enough of it.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Wi88le
    • By Wi88le 12th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Wi88le
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    Would something like a small pressure cooker be an option, plug it in under your desk or in the canteen? Argos have the pressure King pro in a small size.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 23,566 Posts
    • 49,325 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    Would something like a small pressure cooker be an option, plug it in under your desk or in the canteen? Argos have the pressure King pro in a small size.
    Originally posted by Wi88le
    Its not very nice for the OPís co-workers, though!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 15,171 Posts
    • 38,022 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    Bean salad is quick and filling. Mixed beans, cannellini, that sort of thing, you can chuck in peppers, celery, raw carrot, whatever you've got to hand and make it more filling with boiled eggs, tuna etc.
    I also keep a stack of mini falafels, samosa etc in the freezer. You can make a quick yoghurt dip if they're a bit dry.
    Another vote for frittata - put sweet potato in to make them more filling. I make them in muffin cases and freeze them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Wi88le
    • By Wi88le 12th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Wi88le
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    Its not very nice for the OPís co-workers, though!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    If itís in a canteen then itís no worse than a microwave, under a desk would depend on the layout of the office, own office etc
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Oct 17, 11:53 PM
    • 19,573 Posts
    • 31,594 Thanks
    Spendless
    Chicken drumsticks with coleslaw/potato salad.

Tikka/tandoori small chicken fillets etc, with an onion salad, mango chutney and poopadoms.

Scotch eggs.

Pasties.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 3,927 Posts
    • 31,710 Thanks
    Floss
    Pasta salad is best when mixed when the pasta is warm and given a good dollop of salad cream to add flavour & prevent it sticking together

I often have yogurt with h/m jam at 10ish then salad of rocket, cucumber, cherry toms, cheese (not much usually feta or cheddar) with cold meat/chicken tikka/hot dog sausages in. If that's not enough then maybe have something high in protein or low gi to accompany or follow it.

Also, I would consider a hot food flask for your home made leftovers.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Oct 17, 7:20 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 217,132 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I take a Lock & Lock bowl containing a home-made salad with something like beans and maybe cubed cheese/ small amount of meat or fish, sprinkle of seeds and chopped nuts over the top, glug of olive oil, splash of apple cider vinegar.

Tasty, healthy, filling and cheap. Has helped me shift 3 stone + of flab in the past 18 months, too.

Add a spoon from home rolled into a cloth napkin, and I have no need to visit the office kitchen at all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    glider3560

Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    There is indeed a separate water cooler and instant boiling water machine, which hasn't been included in the rota. I use this with those expensive little pots of UHT milk for tea and coffee.

• glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    glider3560
    Originally posted by Wi88le
    'Elf and Safety would have something to say about that, I think! They even made me have my phone charger electrically tested and a risk assessment carried out (I kid you not) before I was allowed to plug this in. And I occassionally use my phone for work purposes.

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 13th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 6,713 Posts
    • 41,432 Thanks
    Pooky
    Cold pasta and rice can be a lot nicer if you make them to go with salads/veggies rather than just a cold portion of last nights pasta bake if you see what I mean. I used to do a big pan of pasta and cool it under cold water as soon as it was cooked, a good glug of olive oil and then in a sealed pot in the fridge. Then daily everyone would take a portion and then add in extras they wanted, salad or roast veg, meats or cheese. Far nicer than cold leftovers (which I don't mind now and then).

You could do sausage rolls or a variation of with veg or chicken, I use the ready roll puff pastry and dollop on left over fajita mix of peppers, onions and chicken with a sprinkle of cheese, roll like sausage rolls and bake. Or use the pastry as a base, score round the edge gently and then fill the middle with whatever takes your fancy, out faves are tom pur!e spread on the base with bacon, sweet corn and onions, a sprinkle of cheese and bung in the oven or DDs love pesto on the base with a tine of tuna, sweet corn and cheese on top. Once cut up this will do you several portions.

Wraps can be great too, a big stuffed burrito, a quesadilla or just wrapped around a bit of meat and salad.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    glider3560
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. There are lots of things here to keep me going!

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 105,331 Thanks
    LameWolf
    There is indeed a separate water cooler and instant boiling water machine, which hasn't been included in the rota. I use this with those expensive little pots of UHT milk for tea and coffee.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Would you be able to tolerate Earl Grey tea? It's lovely without milk.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 15,171 Posts
    • 38,022 Thanks
    elsien
    Or just take your own milk in a little thermos flask.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    glider3560
    Or just take your own milk in a little thermos flask.
    Originally posted by elsien
    I did this a few jobs ago, when I didn't have a fridge. I ended up having two flasks since it needed cleaning every day, otherwise it started to smell quite bad. I might do this again, especially now I have a dishwasher so the cleaning won't be so much of a pain.

Annoying though, since work pay for the milk. They literally just give you 2 or 3x 2 litre cartons of milk if you ask for it in the canteen, which I have to every day since I am the first to arrive each morning. Might just keep one carton in my office (there's only three of us in the room so no-one else will ever know) and leave the other next to the fridge that I daren't touch for fear of the cleaning rota!

• theoretica
    • By theoretica 14th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    theoretica

Annoying though, since work pay for the milk. They literally just give you 2 or 3x 2 litre cartons of milk if you ask for it in the canteen, which I have to every day since I am the first to arrive each morning. Might just keep one carton in my office (there's only three of us in the room so no-one else will ever know) and leave the other next to the fridge that I daren't touch for fear of the cleaning rota!
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Could you decant a little milk before you leave it by the fridge?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin