Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SallyG
    • By SallyG 12th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 837Posts
    • 194Thanks
    SallyG
    Developer vs open market.
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    Developer vs open market. 12th Oct 17 at 7:22 PM
    A developer writes to tell you and all neighbours he's going to apply for planning permission for all the big greenfield site over your garden wall - local council planners confirm pre-application talks - you've been waiting for the right time to sell your property - would you ask the developer if he wants to buy your adjoining property?
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    Unless the developer wants to knock it down for access then what value would it be to them? Remember that they're in the business of selling new houses, not second hand ones.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 6,066 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    As above - is your property of any special value to them? If they've got this far then they've presumably already made plans and done their sums.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    • 14,249 Posts
    • 38,592 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    How would you oppose it if you'd been asking to "take part in it" so to say?
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    • 23,709 Posts
    • 89,684 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:00 AM
    You're too late to sell on the open market at the best price if the builder's plans are in the public domain. Once people know there is a development planned, the uncertainty about how it will affect your property kicks-in.

The reality may well be that the development makes little difference, but until that is established, people will be naturally wary.

If the builder thought your property would be particularly valuable in this context, I think he'd have contacted you before now, rather than take a plan forward to the council without a clear proposal for the land you own. However, there would be no harm in contacting him yourself if you can see a possibilty of added value arising.

For example, if your garden is partcularly large, he might be able to build, say, three houses on it with access from the development. I don't know if that's the sort of scenario you have in mind. More detail is really needed.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 2,951 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    How would you oppose it if you'd been asking to "take part in it" so to say?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    The OP isn't talking about opposing it.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    There's no harm in asking the developer. Even better if you can see how your property adds value.

I had a similar situation some years back. I suggested that by buying a strip of my garden, the developer could 'squeeze in' an extra house on the development.

(Ironically, this was after I objected to their initial planning application which failed - because they wanted to build too close to my boundary. And I sold the land with covenants about windows facing my property, distance of building from my boundary, height of fences etc, so ended up with more protection than I would have had otherwise.)
    Last edited by eddddy; 13-10-2017 at 7:58 AM.
    • SallyG
    • By SallyG 13th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    SallyG
    • 13th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    Thanks to all for your thoughts - I've approached the developer's agent re selling my house to the developer - I'm pretty sure the development will get planning permission - nothing's been turned down for ages - no 5 year housing land supply - no SAP approved yet - it's like an old fashioned land-grab.
    Last edited by SallyG; 13-10-2017 at 5:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,201Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin