Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 808Posts
    • 108Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Paid compensation from court without being victims?
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    Paid compensation from court without being victims? 12th Oct 17 at 6:49 PM
    Apologises if this is the wrong section but I can't really find anything else court related. Please point me in the right direction if need be

Back in August we noticed a vehicle parked outside our house with the front numberplate missing. We did nothing about it for a few hours and then watched back the CCTV that we have installed and noticed three suspicious guys getting out of the car. We phoned the non-emergency line and they straight away told us that this was a stolen vehicle.

The police arrived, took a statement and told us there'd been a burglary a few towns away and they stole the keys so they stole the car. Then the car got towed away. We thought that'd be the end of it.

Then my step-dad started getting letters how they'd caught one of the three, he was in court etc. But today received a letter from court stating the charged will be paying him the sum of £170 as ordered by the courts. And we don't understand why. All we did was report a suspicious looking car.

The only reason we can think of is that my step-dad phoned his boss that evening saying he wouldn't be able to do his scheduled 4am start, in front of the police. But we can't imagine they'd have mentioned that in court or in a statement. But apart from that, we suffered no loss, no loss of earnings and just generally we weren't really victims.

Surely there's a mistake?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 12th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    You'd need to ask the court. No one here knows what happened at the hearing.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 12th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    You don't have to be a victim to be paid an award by a Court, although usually its for the bravery of a witness.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 12th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:09 PM
    Did your Dad lose pay as he didn't get to work?
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 16th Oct 17, 5:17 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 16th Oct 17, 5:17 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 5:17 PM
    Did your Dad lose pay as he didn't get to work?
    Originally posted by dippy3103
    I don't think he did. He was supposed to have a 4am start and then he couldn't as the police were at our house until 10/11pm. I can't remember if he went to the job a little later though. But he never put in a claim for loss of earnings or anything
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin