Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 12th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    Pocketfluff's Debt Adventures
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    Pocketfluff's Debt Adventures 12th Oct 17 at 6:33 PM
    Do you ever feel like you have literally a million things that need to be done but never complete them? Thats me! although this time I'm determined to complete every single task I need to do!

I have been lurking MSE all year and joining in on a few debt free challenges albeit not recording my savings so I think now is the time to start putting everything into a diary to keep track of:

Debts - I'm in around £20k of old debt which I have started to pick away at. The second post on this thread will be a list of these debts and my repayment plans and I'll also update the figures going down each month!

Current Credit Agreements - I owe approx £3000 in catalogues due to moving into a new house and needing household bits so I will add these onto the second post and update totals etc.

Debt free challenges: I've done really well all year wombling and collecting roadkill which I need to start recording. I've joined the christmas savers club with Tesco Clubcard and Morrisons more to save up my points for Christmas. I've also been collecting Daily Mail Rewards, Boots Advantage Card Points etc. All of which will be recorded here.

Home life: I've recently moved into an Edwardian house which needs lots and lots of work. Alot of decorating we do ourselves and I've been seeking out bargains to get it livable for now until we have the money to go all out and do it properly. Its rented at the moment but our aim is to buy it eventually. We have 3 children until 12 who I think really deserve alot more treats. So my aim is to try and save for more days out, maybe do the Sun holidays for next year and save on Christmas. I also need to start giving them pocket money. We shop at Aldi for food so our food bill is already very low and I have got into a great routine of meal planning and freezing leftovers!

Work life: Me and my husband both run our own businesses and although both are successful we're finding that we're paying out alot on bills, business expenses and our wages are not really what they should be. This is something that we haven't found a good balance with yet so I'm wanting to save money where we can, get extra sales, lessen our expenses somehow and improve overall

Household bills: Really need to complete a SOA and pick through each of our household bills and try to reduce where we can. I also have arrears

Goals for 2018:

Pay off all old debts
    Pay off current debts
    Pay off arrears
    Pay for Christmas 2018 with Park Savings, Tesco Clubcard POints, Morrisons More points, Boots Advantage Card Points, Daily Mail Rewards etc
    Both businesses vastly improved
    Household bills reduced
    Start saving for a new car (no finance) latter end of 2018
    Start saving for buying our home latter end of 2018
    To have had many days out and holidays at reduced prices
    Enter competitions daily
    Make extra income
    Home to be decorated cheaply but nicely

Thank you for reading so far! Really looking forward to keeping track of my progress!
    Last edited by Pocketfluff; 26-10-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    Total Debt: £5105.23
Page 1
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 12th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    Old Debts:

Lowell (Littlewoods) £3841.63 / £3841.63
    Lowell (Provident) £1241.60 / £1241.60
    Water Arrears: £1500 / £1500
    EE: £479 / £479
    Vodafone: £274 / £274
    Advantage Finance: £154 / £0
    Tax Credits Overpayment: £5500 (Approx)
    SULCO Loan: £5865.31
    Last edited by Pocketfluff; 14-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 12th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    Current Credit Agreements:

Loan £8000 / £7051.43
    Littlewoods £558.85/ £483.57
    Very £605.19 / £605.19
    Next £300

Household Bills:

Rent £93 per week (Arrears £ )
    Council Tax £ per week (Arrears £ )
    Water £10 per week (Arrears £ )
    Electricity £15 per week
    Gas £15 per week
    TV Licence £5 per week
    Car Insurance £55 per month
    Car Tax £22 per month
    Petrol £50 per week
    Virgin Media £59 per month
    Husbands Phone £15 per month
    My Phone £16 per month
    Food Shop £150 per month
    Household Products £20 per month
    Kids treats £20 a month
    Last edited by Pocketfluff; 14-12-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 49,064 Posts
    • 182,230 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    Wishing you well on your journey.
    You could pop up a SOA when you get a mo.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 7,811 Posts
    • 22,433 Thanks
    jwil
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    Good luck
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 13th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 8,930 Thanks
    phizzimum
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    Hi Pocketfluff

Well done for starting a shiny new diary!

You sound very motivated with lots of goals.

Remember the best treat we can give our kids is our time and attention. The commercial world is geared up to brainwash us that being a good parent means spending lots of money, even though we all know itís not true it can be hard to resist that message.

I love racking up points on loyalty cards too. Just be aware that again, the companies give these points to make money, not because theyíre kind. I have to remind myself that that sometimes itís better to miss out on points and get a product cheaper elsewhere, or not buy it at all.

Looking forward to reading how your journey goes

Phizz
    weaving through the chaos...
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 15th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    Thanks Phizzimum

I totally agree with the time is better than money where the children are concerned. I probably didn't word it very well in my first post I've given my 3 lovely children all of my time and attention. We've been really really skint over the last few years mainly due to health reasons and being out of work. We haven't had holidays or days out and they haven't really had anything treat wise for a long time.

Now that we're finally finding our feet I would love to give them more treats. They've been so well behaved too and deserve alot more from us. We've recently started having a Dominos night every month which they look forward to. I plan on finding little money saving deals for holidays, days out, cinema etc. More family time and things we can all enjoy together to make memories.

Pocket money has never been something that they've ever had so I'd like to start giving them pocket money in return for little chores. I love spending time with them but O think as a family we need to get out more and have memories to look back on that don't necessary have to cost the earth
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 15th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    I plan on my day off tomorrow being a productive day so need to complete the following:

- Get electricity and gas
    - Get through as much washing as possible and put them away
    - Go to the cash and carry
    - Buy a new notebook
    - Try to get through as much work as possible from home tomorrow and start accounts
    - Complete deliveries
    - Contact landlord about repairs
    - Ring EE and vodafone to set up repayment plans
    - Do SOA and post here
    - Work out all debts and post here down to the last penny
    - Make an appointments at the doctors for new prescriptions
    - Make at least £100 working from home tomorrow
    - Pick up some vanish for carpet and sofa
    - Clean up

I probably won't complete them all but I plan on getting up early tomorrow and getting through the important ones.
    • atolaas
    • By atolaas 15th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 5,289 Thanks
    atolaas
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 15th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    I've just subscribed to your shiny new thread. Best of luck
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 15th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    I've just subscribed to your shiny new thread. Best of luck
    Originally posted by atolaas
    Thank you atolaas
    • timetobefrugal
    • By timetobefrugal 16th Oct 17, 8:14 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    timetobefrugal
    Just wanted to pop in and say good luck! I can relate to the million things that never got done and it's just me and my DD
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 16th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Best of luck to you!
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 16th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Just popping by to say good luck! Your 2018 plan sounds great and doable, I'll be popping back to see how you get on x
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 19th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    I plan on my day off tomorrow being a productive day so need to complete the following:

- Get electricity and gas
    - Get through as much washing as possible and put them away
    - Go to the cash and carry
    - Buy a new notebook
    - Try to get through as much work as possible from home tomorrow and start accounts
    - Complete deliveries
    - Contact landlord about repairs
    - Ring EE and vodafone to set up repayment plans
    - Do SOA and post here
    - Work out all debts and post here down to the last penny
    - Make an appointments at the doctors for new prescriptions
    - Make at least £100 working from home tomorrow
    - Pick up some vanish for carpet and sofa
    - Clean up

I probably won't complete them all but I plan on getting up early tomorrow and getting through the important ones.
    Originally posted by Pocketfluff
    So our house was struck down with bugs and all of us ended up fit for nothing however I did manage to get through some of my tasks! I've popped a smiley face next to each one I completed.

Over the last few days I've been completely wiped out but after a few days on antibiotics today I'm feeling much better. I've had a productive morning getting the house organised, I've done some work from home, washing cycle is finished and ready for the dryer. I also realised I've been given £5 from TSB Rewards for having two direct debits with them and I get this every month. So I've paid £5 off one of my Very Buy Now Pay Next Year orders.

My plans for today are:

- Complete work from home
    - Get through as much washing as possible
    - Clean and tidy house
    - Go to the bank to pay money in
    - Buy vanish for carpet and sofa (forgot even though I was in the shop!)
    - Complete SOA and post here

I've also received contact from RBS who I had an old loan with to start tackling that debt too!
    Last edited by Pocketfluff; 19-10-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    • Pocketfluff
    • By Pocketfluff 5th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Pocketfluff
    Just a quick update. I have got through mammoth tasks recently and although I still have alot to get through I'm gradually getting through them at least.

I wombled 80 Morrisons More points today when getting a few bits in from Morrisons. I curbed my spending on todays little food shop as I know how easy it is to spend alot when just getting a few things.

Quorn Southern Fried Bites and nuggets were on offer so I got a few of those, the cadbury desserts were on offer too. Everything I got was mainly on offer and stuff that the kids love so it was a bargain at £36 plus the shop will last us a good few days.

Tomorrow is my day off so my positive steps for the day are:

Get up early
    Have a bath and wash hair before the school run
    Drive to wholesalers (Scrapped this)
    Check banks
    Order new stock
    Go to the shop to put shelves up, get jobs done in work
    Do legislation sheets
    Fill in form for the Christmas Fair (stall) print off Public Liability Insurance and send
    Send PIP Form
    Ring Doctors
    Try to get as many orders as possible
    Clean house
    Get Daily Mail Reward Codes
    Do washing
    Make up stock
    Last edited by Pocketfluff; 06-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin