Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tooba
    • By tooba 12th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 13Thanks
    tooba
    issue with over charging, Billy khan
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    issue with over charging, Billy khan 12th Oct 17 at 5:55 PM
    Hi all
    my client is new in UK and yesterday he has received his credit card bill, now the problem he is facing he is over charged by the bank. he has asked my help to ask you people how can he claim the bank? as he is non native and have little money so cannot hire attorney for this.,
    if anyone can help?
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    Hi there,

If someone has been overcharged for credit (outside of the original terms and conditions of the agreement) in the UK, then they can start by using the complaint process (which is free). Highlight to the bank why the charges are incorrect and ask for them to be refunded. If the bank refuses he can escalate the matter to the financial ombudsman service.

Please remember that if he is in arrears with his payments then he will incur additional interest and charges. And if this debt originated outside of the UK the advice will be different. There doesn't appear to be any need for legal advice at this stage, but if you can post further details it may help future posters offer advice.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 31,750 Posts
    • 37,458 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    Duplicate thread

See here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5726444
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    this was wrongly placed i guess so is deleted.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Oct 17, 4:23 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:23 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:23 AM
    Your client?
    It is unclear as to how he has been overcharged on his credit card bill but most people don't hire an attorney to sort out such problems; they contact the bank in question. Could you please be more specific as to exactly what has happened and why your client believes that he has been overcharged?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 13-10-2017 at 5:19 AM.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    Also many people do not read T&C and not aware what the credit card companies can do. Such as returning to their home country for a year and when they come back faced with lots of charges due to not paying and not telling the CC co, or exceeding their credit limit and moaning that all the charges put on has effectively doubled the debt.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 13th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    Hi all
    my client is new in UK and yesterday he has received his credit card bill, now the problem he is facing he is over charged by the bank. he has asked my help to ask you people how can he claim the bank? as he is non native and have little money so cannot hire attorney for this.,
    if anyone can help?
    Originally posted by tooba
    Your client? Are you a solicitor? Financial adviser?

Who is the provider of the credit card?

What do you mean by overcharged? Overcharged for what? A credit card company is not a bank.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin