Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lloydy123
    • By Lloydy123 12th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lloydy123
    Maternity Pay, Salary Sacrifice, Childcare Vouchers Frustration
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    Maternity Pay, Salary Sacrifice, Childcare Vouchers Frustration 12th Oct 17 at 5:50 PM
    Hello, first ever post! Iím not entirely sure I have put in the right place. Iíve read what I can to see if thereís an answer already out there but nothing entirely answers my question. Hoping for you lovely people to shed some light
    Iím due to go off on my second maternity leave, a while yet but Iím trying to figure out the confusion with childcare vouchers. My company do enhanced mat leave for 13 weeks at 100% NI based pay and 13 weeks at 50%.
    My salary is reduced for pension and childcare so I understand that my pay on mat leave is based on NI pay so a lower figure. However my company then insist they can continue to take out, from this lowered figure, the childcare vouchers. Is this right as it feels like Iím paying twice?
    Iím thinking of coming out the scheme regardless of the fact they will pay the vouchers when Iím on SMP and the tax benefits.
    I have a reduced pay on enhanced mat leave, then I still have the vouchers deducted from this and have to pay for 6 months. Compared to 3 months worth of contributions by employer on SMP. Surely no brainer?

Please help.

They donít offer the info to come out pre mat leave, you have to do your research. Feels a bit unfair overall. This also seems to be a change in policy, couple of years ago they paid the vouchers the whole way through. What happened to change this.
    HR insist they are doing the right thing.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    What is NI based pay?
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Lloydy123
    • By Lloydy123 12th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lloydy123
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    National Insurance based pay. So the amount you get paid for national insurance. Which is lower as has any salary sacrifice arrangement taken out.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    How is that enhanced pay! Thought they had to fund them on maternity but google found this change as a result of an employment tribunal https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/legal-updates/childcare-vouchers-and-maternity-leave/5055128.article
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Lloydy123
    • By Lloydy123 12th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lloydy123
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    Thanks I will look.
    Sorry I meant an enhanced scheme in addition to SMP. But yes it’s not entirely full pay.
    • RhiIndiah
    • By RhiIndiah 19th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RhiIndiah
    • 19th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    Hi Lloyd,

I am in exactly the same position and what I was expecting for my maternity pay is £2304 less because I didn't know I should have opted out of the childcare vouchers during my qualifying period. I get £243 a month in vouchers , plus I am then having them deducted throughout the 39 weeks of SMP so it sounds the same as you. Have you managed to find any answers?

I am exactly the same as you -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter