Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peter Bailey
    • By Peter Bailey 12th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Peter Bailey
    Virgin Credit Card
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    Virgin Credit Card 12th Oct 17 at 5:14 PM
    Following a recent transfer that cost a £50 admin fee, they started charging interest on all additional purchases from day 1 and so when I then tried to minimise the charges by making early payments they then paid this off the zero interest balance rather than the balance with interest. It clearly states in the T&C's that payments would be applied to the debt with the higher interest. When I complained they stated that it was my own fault for paying early and are therefore are unwilling to do anything to resolve. The customer service is a joke and the complaints process a farce. Just blame everything on the stupid customers...
    I still can't understand how I'm being penalised for paying early but would like to hear if any other of Virgin's credit card customers have had similar experiences and how these have been resolved.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    You've failed to read their allocation of payments.

Higher interest balances are paid off first, but only when they have statemented.

On your next statement, make sure you clear the purchases. There will be some trailing interest the next month.

Thereafter, use a different card for your purchases and clear that in full each month to avoid interest. Don't mix BTs and purchases.
    • Peter Bailey
    • By Peter Bailey 12th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Peter Bailey
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    Virgin Credit Card
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    Thanks,
    I can see whats happened, just can't believe that I've paid £50 for the interest free bit and have now lost a significant part of that because i paid early.
    Feels like I've been stitched up.....
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Oct 17, 12:35 AM
    • 10,804 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:35 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:35 AM
    Thanks,
    I can see whats happened, just can't believe that I've paid £50 for the interest free bit and have now lost a significant part of that because i paid early.
    Feels like I've been stitched up.....
    Originally posted by Peter Bailey
    If you're going to play the game make sure you know the rules.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Oct 17, 4:40 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:40 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:40 AM
    Of course you don't say which type of card you have which would be the most useful piece of information you could have provided!
    If you have a 0% balance transfer card or any other card without a 0% offer on purchases then you will pay interest on your purchases unless you pay the balance (including the 0% balance transfer amount) in full every month. If you intended to use the card for purchases and balance transfers at the same time then you should have got a card which has a 0% offer on both purchases and balance transfers as most virgin cards do. In fact I can't see ANY Virgin card which does not offer at least a 3 month interest free period on purchases as well.
    As for your claim that you have been charged interest on purchases from day 1, unless you have some sort of unadvertised card, I really don't think so. Check again.
    As has already been said, payments will always be allocated to transactions which have appeared on a statement before being applied to transactions which have not yet appeared on a statement so any payments made will always go towards what appears on the previous statement before being applied to anything else. This is clearly shown in the payment allocation information.
    • Peter Bailey
    • By Peter Bailey 14th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Peter Bailey
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    Virgin credit card
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    Thanks for the comments, the card is the standard Virgin Money credit card that I've had for years. The only change was to transfer a balance of £1200 which I paid a £50 fee. I understand the comments about playing by the rules, however I didn't think it was akin to booking a flight with Ryanair, I wrongly expected a better service from Virgin. Ben8282 sounds like the customer service representative from Virgin.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    Ben8282 sounds like the customer service representative from Virgin.

Alas not one of the better informed contributors on this site.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    For future reference very few cards work the way you hoped, MBNA are one of those that do.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • planteria
    • By planteria 14th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    planteria
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    If you're going to play the game make sure you know the rules.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    sadly, that is absolutely the point.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Thanks for the comments, the card is the standard Virgin Money credit card that I've had for years. The only change was to transfer a balance of £1200 which I paid a £50 fee. I understand the comments about playing by the rules, however I didn't think it was akin to booking a flight with Ryanair, I wrongly expected a better service from Virgin. Ben8282 sounds like the customer service representative from Virgin.
    Originally posted by Peter Bailey
    So the OP finally discloses that this is not a new card after all. That at least explains the absence of a 0% offer on purchases. A pity he did not think to mention this in the first place.

Ben8282 sounds like the customer service representative from Virgin.

Alas not one of the better informed contributors on this site.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    I will take the first line of your post as a compliment.
    I would however suggest that it is in fact the OP, not myself, who is not very well informed.
    This response is not in any way helpful to the OP.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 14-10-2017 at 7:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin