Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 12th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    • 171Posts
    • 794Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    Do I need to do anything after credit card fraud
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    Do I need to do anything after credit card fraud 12th Oct 17 at 4:47 PM
    Apologies if this is a silly question but in over 20 years of regularly using credit cards this is the first time I have experienced fraud.

Just started the fraud process after getting an odd text from MBNA (sending me a one-off password) and then logging into my online account (with my normal details) to find ~£800 of fraudulent transactions over the last two days, mostly for various types of insurance.

Whilst the money side of it is in the hands of their fraud team, is there anything else I should be doing to make sure other details are secure, e.g. getting a copy of my credit report? I've never done this and have a spotless credit history so it's all a bit new to me!

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 14,410 Posts
    • 15,208 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    Make sure your cards, PINs, passwords etc are safe.

Check your credit files periodically, just as a good practice, more than anything else.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 24,261 Posts
    • 11,543 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    Just to add; check your online statement periodically to make sure no further fraudulent transactions sneak through.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • tooba
    • By tooba 13th Oct 17, 2:29 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:29 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:29 AM
    Better is to discontinue online banking as there are many hackers across the world hacking accounts. i wonder if you guys know there were msgs viral against this on whatsapp. ebay amazon sales was dropped suddenly and people stopped using online buying. but for those it is if inevitable better is to change pin and passwords frequently.
    Billy khan
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Oct 17, 5:00 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Oct 17, 5:00 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 5:00 AM
    If everything is being taken care of by the bank, there is nothing further to do except to have a good think about how whoever carried out this fraud obtained the details necessary to have used the card to pay for these various insurances and take the necessary steps to prevent it happening again.
    • VodkaSorbet
    • By VodkaSorbet 13th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    VodkaSorbet
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    I have no idea how they got any details - I guess that's partly what I'm asking (since MBNA have nothing helpful to say on that). My card has been with me all the time and I have only used it in a few (mainstream) shops, pubs and websites which I use regularly.

So short of not using a credit card at all I'm not sure what I can do to prevent it happening again.
    Last edited by VodkaSorbet; 13-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,071 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    You're not liable for the loss.

It's a nuisance. But roll with it and carry on as before.

Using cards, cheques and carrying cash has fraud and theft risks. They're relatively tiny, given the number of financial transactions we do.

Don't stop using your card because of this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

7,533Users online

Martin's Twitter