Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sponge_Cake
    • By Sponge_Cake 12th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sponge_Cake
    Getting a mortgage - one long term temporary role and one permanent
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    Getting a mortgage - one long term temporary role and one permanent 12th Oct 17 at 4:16 PM
    Hello,

We need some advice, we have a £20,000 deposit and are looking to buy a fairly cheap house in the area we live (West Yorkshire). The house prices we are looking at are around £100,000-£115,000.

We've done a mortgage in principle on the Halifax website and were offered £92,000 based on the info we'd given. Which would obviously work out ideally.
    I put on the form that I am on a temporary contract, but that didn't seem to affect it.

I work in a school supporting children with SEN and behavioural issues. The children I support have a statement so most of my wages come from that. Therefore once they reach year 6 (it's a primary school) I will no longer be employed there. Unless they find me another role (which often happens). There are a lot of these one to one jobs around at the moment and they all have the same bottom line: if the pupil leaves, your contract is terminated. But there is usually a lot of notice and discussion if that were to occur. The pupils are currently in year two, so if they complete all school years, I'll be employed another four years. My partner is also in a school, supporting in classrooms in a senior school and covering lessons when the teacher is on planning time or off sick. His contract is permanent.

I know we've done a mortgage in principle and we have an appointment at Halifax next weekend to discuss things. But I just wanted to hear people's opinions and experiences on this.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • YHM
    • By YHM 12th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    YHM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    Hi Sponge_cake.

I would expect Halifax to be fine with this. They are usually pretty good with contracts of this sort, especially if it is likely to last for a further 4 years.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,186Posts Today

5,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin