Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allan7710
    • By allan7710 12th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 2Thanks
    allan7710
    Car tax fine
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    Car tax fine 12th Oct 17 at 3:02 PM
    Ok long story, my husbandís hobby is to restore old cars. He can have one for months and sometimes longer at a time were he painstakingly paints/polishes/refurbishes etc as he enjoys it. The car is kept in the garage or driveway and is SORNíd. Very occasionally due to lack of space in garage and as our driveway has a wall on each side, he has brought it out on the road in front of driveway to get better access while he does bits and pieces on it and then it goes back in driveway/garage (same day). Eventually when the car is fixed up he sells it and buys another to do it all again. It can be weeks in between him working on it, itís just a hobby and most of the time the car is out of sight in the garage. Last week he had a week off work and had the car out on 3 consecutive days on the roadside to work on it. The DVLA car tax enforcement team came and clamped it as it has no tax. I can only presume that a disgruntled neighbour has reported it as we are the last house in a cul d sac, so not like they would just be driving by. Anyway, my husband explained what he was doing but they didnít care. To get the car unclamped he would need to pay a release fee and also tax the car but the car is not motíd yet as he is still fixing it up so nowhere near being able to be driven around on the roads yet. However, they wonít let him pay the release fine and keep it on a SORN, we canít afford to pay the fine + tax on a car that is worth less than what that would cost. Therefore, they said the car would be uplifted and scrapped after 24hrs if we did not pay to have it released. We decided to cut our losses and just do that. However, the car has continued to sit outside my house clamped for 10 days (with no tax) which seems very contradictory considering my husband only had it out for mere hours! To top it off he has now had a letter from the DVLA saying he needs to pay a fine of £183 to them also due to the ĎNo Taxí offence. We donít really have the money for this either and feel it is so excessive considering the car was only outside the driveway for a few hours at a time over 3 days to get some bodywork done. Do we have any chance to argue against this? Just so you know, we do have a road worthy car which is taxed/insured this car really is just for his hobby. I appreciate that the car was on the road with no tax but at the time we didnít realise at that time bringing it out to do a bit of work on it and putting it back in the garage was an offence. My husband suffers with depression which he has been really poorly in the past, this hobby gives him a distraction and now since this has happened itís really set him back. Not only does he think a neighbour has got it in for him but is now stressing about the money itís going to cost us. Anyone got any advice? Thanks
Page 2
    • sennypijama
    • By sennypijama 12th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    sennypijama
    Since we dont display tax discs anymore; in order for your neighbour to report it they would need the registration number and to check it online.
    But they would not know it was untaxed, so that does not add up, with your version of the facts.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Not true.

They could check at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 15,727 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Not true.

They could check at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    Originally posted by sennypijama
    I guess you missed the bit where he said "in order for your neighbour to report it they would need the registration number and to check it online.", even though you quoted it...
    • sennypijama
    • By sennypijama 13th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    sennypijama
    Nope, didn't miss that bit.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 6,173 Thanks
    theoretica
    Since we dont display tax discs anymore; in order for your neighbour to report it they would need the registration number and to check it online.
    But they would not know it was untaxed, so that does not add up, with your version of the facts.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I don't follow, if someone suspects it may be untaxed they might check, and if it was taxed all they have lost is a minute or two of time.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter