Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 12th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 3,706Posts
    • 291,534Thanks
    sleepyjones
    New Phone scam
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    New Phone scam 12th Oct 17 at 2:27 PM
    Seems to be a mainly US thing at the moment but worth keeping an eye out, basically if you get an unknown call don't answer "Yes" ... if they ask "Can you hear me?", say "I can" or something along those lines, but bear in mind the question could different ... just try and not answer with "Yes".

"The scam, which is making the rounds in several U.S. states, is pretty simple: you answer your phone and the person on the other end asks if you can hear them. If you answer Yes, they will use that recording as evidence that you authorized a payment or agreed to sign up for a service.

The easiest way to avoid these scams is to simply not answer blocked or unknown numbers. But that’s not an option for all of us, so if you have to take those calls, just be sure not to respond to that question with a Yes.

There may be other variations on the question, but the goal of the scammer is always the same: to get you to say Yes. "

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/unknown-caller-asks-can-you-hear-me/
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 3,931 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    old story, unproven

http://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/
    • libra10
    • By libra10 12th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 9,726 Posts
    • 176,534 Thanks
    libra10
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    "easiest way to avoid these scams is to simply not answer blocked or unknown numbers. But thatís not an option for all of us, so if you have to take those calls, just be sure not to respond to that question with a Yes."

Be very careful though. When I won £2000 with Radio City a few weeks ago, the phone number they called from was unknown to me, and I could have just rejected the call, and disconnected.

Luckily I didn't!
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 12th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    I just leave the ringer turned off and check for messages.
    • michaeladams
    • By michaeladams 13th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michaeladams
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    I agree that this theory hasn't been proven. It is a good suggestion/tips to avoid them, but I think ignoring them is far better. You could just wait for them to leave any message, or you could also check the number on Google or some sites like whycall(dot)me just to make sure that other people have reported this number as scam.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter