Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 269Posts
    • 45Thanks
    rubble2
    Garmin SatNav - in car charging
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    Garmin SatNav - in car charging 12th Oct 17 at 2:26 PM
    I have a Garmin satnav which came with it's own dedicated in car charger, this works as expected.

I have recently bought a 2way USB charger that fits in the car power connector so that I can charge my phone and the satnav at the same time using two USB cables. The phone charges as expected and retains full functionality when being charged.

The sat nav however when plugged into the new charger goes into a 'charging only' mode (my description) which prevents the unit operating whilst on charge. This is the same condition as when the sat nav is plugged into a USB port on a PC.

I assume that there is a difference in the connections between a standard USB cable and the cable provided by Garmin that is integral with the OEM charger.

Does anyone know what the differences are and if there is any easy way to overcome the problem please?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    I found this (It's for a Nuvi and I don't know what Garmin you have)

This is from a usenet post to alt.satellite.gps.garmin:

go to the test page (press the battery icon for 8-9 seconds), then you can plug in your USB cable, USB charger, etc. Then exit the test screen. The Nuvi will reboot then it will work normally.
    • rubble2
    • By rubble2 12th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    rubble2
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    Perfect, thank you.

I didn't even know about the test screen but that worked fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter