Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nick French
    • By Nick French 12th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nick French
    Bank Account for a Will Trust
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    Bank Account for a Will Trust 12th Oct 17 at 1:38 PM
    I am a trustee for my father's will trust and I am looking for a current account to store some surplus funds of the trust to cover tax and any legal bills going forwards. It is not a large sum of money (<£20,000).
    We are currently using a business account with HSBC and they have started charging a monthly fee for the account despite the activity on the account is negligible. I was told by HSBC when I queried the charge that I was started on a free banking deal for 18 months but this offer lapsed - but this was not made clear to me when the account was opened. They told me I should of opened a community / society account at instead of a business account but that again was not the advice I was given at the time. They could not guarantee that they would open a will trust account as a community account now.
    I have started to look around for another account that does not charge but finding it difficult because one of the trustees / beneficiaries lives in New Zealand. Lloyds were happy to open an account as a community / society but backed out as soon as they discovered that all the trustees and beneficiaries are not UK based.
    Does anyone know of a bank that is a bit more friendly to will trusts and open an account for me with a foreign resident as one of the beneficiaries / trustees.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 24,103 Posts
    • 11,380 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    I would suggest that you stay put!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Nick French
    • By Nick French 17th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick French
    • 17th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    • 17th Oct 17, 6:41 AM
    It looks like it is my only option at the moment. I have tried several banks only to be told they will not handle a will trust with a non-UK resident as a trustee / beneficiary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin