Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mickym
    • By mickym 12th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 358Posts
    • 69Thanks
    mickym
    Never had a Credit Card.... need one for car hire. Can anyone help?
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    Never had a Credit Card.... need one for car hire. Can anyone help? 12th Oct 17 at 1:37 PM
    Hi,

I need to hire a larger car over the Christmas period for a break away, and upon doing my research it seems that many car hire firms (in this case Enterprise) require a credit card when booking and paying for a hire of their vehicle.

I would like to get hold of a credit card for this purpose v soon, so I can avoid the price I have been quoted being hiked up any further.

Some detail on my financial affairs...
    I do not have any loans other than our mortgage, and due to some financially tough few months I am into my overdraft of around £1,200 at the moment (had a big car insurance bill, and a few house hold things needed fixing/replacing).

I have around £1000 in saving I could use to clear most of this overdraft if required.

I know you are all a knowledgable bunch here, so hoping you can help me
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 15,180 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    Your own bank may be the best place to start, pretty an eligibility checker.

Being in your overdraft won't help.
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 12th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    Try the credit card eligibility checker to see which credit cards you are most likely to be accepted for
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 12th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    Agree with starting with your own bank first. If you have online banking there may be a pre approved offers page.

Is the interest on your savings higher than your overdraft charges?
    • mickym
    • By mickym 12th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    Agree with starting with your own bank first. If you have online banking there may be a pre approved offers page.

Is the interest on your savings higher than your overdraft charges?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Doubt it.

When I say savings its an account I use for freelance work I do, I need to do a tax return first before I know the exact amount I can use as savings, hence why i want to keep it separate from my current account.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    As you say my bank may be the quickest route to getting one.... however would I be better getting a 0% interest one so I have the bonus of having that facility if required? (at 40 years old and never having a crredit card before, i doubt I will be looking to use it regularly).
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 15,180 Thanks
    zx81
    I wouldn't worry about going for a 0% offer - you're more likely to be declined. You just need a card.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 12th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    Thank you all...i need to put some cash into the bank tomorrow morning so I will ask in store to see if they can sort it out for me whilst im there.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Oct 17, 4:57 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:57 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:57 AM
    I would suggest repaying the overdraft then wait at least a month preferably two to be sure your credit files have updated to show you are no longer overdrawn then use one of the eligibility checkers to see what type of results you get for the various types of card then make an application accordingly.
    Obviously a 0% balance transfer card would be of no use to you as you have no existing credit card balance to transfer. A 0% purchases card may be useful if you want to pay off your car rental by instalments or delay repayment for several months.
    You say you don't intend to use the card very much. Why not? Why not spend on it every month, pay in full and keep the money in your account longer in order to avoid going overdrawn every month?
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    Hi, I like the sound of a 0% card, as it is a facility to have 'just in case'.

I didnt realise being in my over draft would cause an issue with applying for a card or anything else needing to check my credit rating. Never been turned down in the past for anything ive applied for apart from about 12 years ago when an outstanding balance of £9 i owed NTL World was on file as being unpaid... I got that sorted back then though.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    Oh, and unfortunately I cant wait a month or two as I need to book the rental asap as its for hire in mid December.
    • SeanG79
    • By SeanG79 13th Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    SeanG79
    In my experience, you don't need a credit card for the car hire, as long as you take the full insurance from the car hire company desk when you collect the car.

I have hired numerous cars from several different car hire companies and never used my credit card.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    takman
    In my experience, you don't need a credit card for the car hire, as long as you take the full insurance from the car hire company desk when you collect the car.

I have hired numerous cars from several different car hire companies and never used my credit card.
    Originally posted by SeanG79
    But that insurance is very expensive when you can get a full years insurance from an independent company for a fraction of the price they charge for a week.

Your just throwing money down the drain doing this.
    • SeanG79
    • By SeanG79 13th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    SeanG79
    Yes, but if your credit limit on your credit card doesn't cover the full deposit, which I have experienced as high as £3k on a large vehicle or you do not have a credit card, then it is a solution to the immediate problem...
    • chappers
    • By chappers 13th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    chappers
    you don't necessarily need a credit card, but just be aware they will put a hold on funds for the deposit on any card whether it be debit or credit.
    You will probably have some form of protection if using a credit card though, but you would need to check first.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Oh, and unfortunately I cant wait a month or two as I need to book the rental asap as its for hire in mid December.
    Originally posted by mickym
    Worth checking with them but my expectation would be that you should be able to use a debit card when making and prepaying the (fixed-cost) booking just now but then a credit card at the time of collecting the vehicle, when they'll do the preauthorisation for the deposit, i.e. you shouldn't need the credit card until December.
    • mickym
    • By mickym 13th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mickym
    Tried booking with Enterprise online and it states Credit Card not Debit card

Just back from Natwest and signed up to their Rewards account for £2 per month where I get cashback on phone bills, food shopping, petrol.

As part of this I get a credit card for 'free' rather than a £24 per month charge.

I do a lot of food shopping and if i pay for it on the credit card I get 3% cashback at supermarkets, so it could end up saving me some cash in the long run.

Just need to wait 10 days for it to arrive before I can make my booking.

Thanks for all your advice.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    takman
    Yes, but if your credit limit on your credit card doesn't cover the full deposit, which I have experienced as high as £3k on a large vehicle or you do not have a credit card, then it is a solution to the immediate problem...
    Originally posted by SeanG79
    That's why you need to plan ahead if you know you need a credit card then apply for one in advanced.

If you don't have a big enough limit then you need to find a company that doesn't take such a large deposit. If if you have to pay slightly more for the rental then you still save money because their own insurance can be hundreds of pounds.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "large vehicle" but I know a Spanish company that rents out 9 seater vans with no deposit required.
    A worldwide company Sixt rental only requires a deposit of twice the rental price.

Also in my experience only the dodgy companies like goldcar who hard sell their expensive insrusnc have very high deposits like you state.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    takman
    Tried booking with Enterprise online and it states Credit Card not Debit card

Just back from Natwest and signed up to their Rewards account for £2 per month where I get cashback on phone bills, food shopping, petrol.

As part of this I get a credit card for 'free' rather than a £24 per month charge.

I do a lot of food shopping and if i pay for it on the credit card I get 3% cashback at supermarkets, so it could end up saving me some cash in the long run.

Just need to wait 10 days for it to arrive before I can make my booking.

Thanks for all your advice.
    Originally posted by mickym
    I hope you realise that the majority of cards are "free" to get and a few pay cashback on every purchase. In future never just assume you need to get a credit card from the same bank your with.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 7,303 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I hope you realise that the majority of cards are "free" to get and a few pay cashback on every purchase. In future never just assume you need to get a credit card from the same bank your with.
    Originally posted by takman
    Equally though, if you don't have a credit card your own bank may well be the most favourable starting point.

But don't pay an annual fee!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,188Posts Today

6,806Users online

Martin's Twitter