Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 12th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 726Posts
    • 280Thanks
    Ant555
    Equifax - quick question
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    Equifax - quick question 12th Oct 17 at 1:20 PM
    Is it the data of people that have signed up to the Equifax credit checking service that has been hacked or is it the general credit checking data Equifax hold?

I haven't used their services but can't work out if I am likely to be one of the 15million (not that I can do a huge amount about it though)

Thanks
Page 1
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 839 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:59 PM
    Is it the data of people that have signed up to the Equifax credit checking service that has been hacked or is it the general credit checking data Equifax hold?

I haven't used their services but can't work out if I am likely to be one of the 15million (not that I can do a huge amount about it though)

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ant555
    As the story goes it's 694,000 U.K. customers who are affected. Again as the story goes if you have been contacted by Equifax you're one of those affected and if you haven't been contacted by Equifax you're not one of those affected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41575188
    https://www.equifax.co.uk/incident.html
    Last edited by Anthorn; 12-10-2017 at 2:02 PM.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 12th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    Thanks - ive read further and realised that the 15 million 'headline' figure refers to the number that might have had name/date of birth details stolen.

Fortunately i'm not one of the 14,961 that have had name/password, secret question/answer, last 4 digits of credit card details accessed - if any of those are also a subset of the people with driving license and phone number details then that could be a big headache for some of them.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    My passwords have all changed since then, started using a password manager, and I now have a call blocker on my mobile due to the number of PPI & energy firm calls etc.

If equifax are trying to contact me at the address I was in 2014, then I wouldn't know as I don't live at that address. I wonder how much of an effort they have took.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter