Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anon1337
    • By Anon1337 12th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Anon1337
    Smart Parking Ltd - Didn't receive letter
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    Smart Parking Ltd - Didn't receive letter 12th Oct 17 at 1:16 PM
    Hi MSE people,

I received a letter from "Debt Recovery Plus" claiming that I owed their client, Smart Parking Ltd, a sum of £160 for parking past a free grace period in a small car park outside a Spar shop.

This is the first letter I have received. I did not receive a PCN from Smart Parking Ltd. Having read the newbie forum post, I realise I made a couple of errors:

I have tried making a claim to Smart Parking, but it's past the 28 day period (because I never received the original letter)

I have called the Debt Recovery company to tell them that I was making an appeal. They told me that I cannot make an appeal now and that further action will be taken if I don't pay the £160 to them within 14 days.

I think I am a victim of ANPR double dipping, as my vehicle was parked twice in that car park on the date they say the violation happened. It was parked for a short period each time.

I do not want to end up in court, but also don't think it's fair that I should be asked to pay £160 for a contravention that didn't happen.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,923 Posts
    • 8,033 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    Post Four of the Newbies Sticky covers DRP entirely. Please read it before doing anything else - contacting them is bad enough!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 16,901 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    never , NEVER contact the DRP sc@mmers

NEVER phone them up

what they failed to tell you is that you have the option to IGNORE them

they dont get paid unless they lie and cheat their way into getting you to pay them , never ask a sc@mmer about a sc@m

as mentioned above, you ignored post #4 of that NEWBIES thread

please read it again

then IGNORE

come back if you get an LBC or an MCOL within 6 years
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Anon1337
    • By Anon1337 13th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anon1337
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    Hi both,

Thanks so much for taking time to reply to me. I didn't ignore the post as such, just panicked and ended up calling them before my sanity returned and I decided to actually take some time and read all the information available on this site.

My question was more around the fact that I had appealed "too late" and whether this would mean that I was unable to appeal and would be forced by a court to pay the full £160. But reading post #4 as you instructed seems to indicate that this will not be the case.

Is there likely to be any negative effect of me calling them? I did not make any verbal agreement with them on the phone to pay, I simply asked them what would happen and then said that I would "think about my options".
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 33,505 Posts
    • 17,383 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    The negative in contacting debt collectors/ppcs is you may inadvertently give away information helpful to them (eg say "I" visited twice, instead of"the driver" visited twice etc).

It also lets them know you are hooked and consider you more vulnerable to their unpleasant and threatening activities
    • Anon1337
    • By Anon1337 13th Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anon1337
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    I see. I guess I just have to toughen up a bit and see what happens then!

I will come back to you guys if things escalate (not debt recovery letters or whatever - I have read the newbies thread at length now)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin