Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M2323
    • By M2323 12th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    M2323
    Charge for Over Credit Card Limit because card did not update on activation
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    Charge for Over Credit Card Limit because card did not update on activation 12th Oct 17 at 12:46 PM
    I transferred money from one credit card (Barclaycard) to another (Tesco) as the promo period for 0% was up on the Barclaycard. This was approved and I was asked at the time of applying for the Tesco to transfer the total money, so when I receieved the Tesco card and activated it, I expected the transfer to show but nothing was showing up for a day or so. From a previous situation like this I had to action the transfer again after activation of the new card (even though doing it at the time of application), so I moved over a smaller amount (as I didn't want to get charged by Barclaycard after promo deadline) and then both the original amount and the second amount moved over together which meant on the Tesco one I went over the credit limit, and therefore it took a £12 charge as it said I had gone over my limit.

Do you think I can ask Tesco to waive this fee as it was an error/delay for activation of transfers as opposed to me actually missing a payment/going over the limit? The Barclaycard has now got credit of the second amount so they are transferring it over to my bank but I don't want the charge on the Tesco card to affect any future borrowing.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 14,387 Posts
    • 15,181 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    You could ask. You may get lucky.

More importantly, ask them to reinstate the promo rate if you've lost that.
    • M2323
    • By M2323 12th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    M2323
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    Thank you - I hadn't thought about that, the statement still says 0% but I will double check on the phone. I have been lucky in the past with getting something taken off when it wasn't my fault, so I will give them a call. Thank you!
    • M2323
    • By M2323 12th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    M2323
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    Success! They are refunding the £12 (and said it wouldn't show on credit file unless it was 2 defaults anyway). Always worth asking!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,283Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter