Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PerryJ
    • By PerryJ 12th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PerryJ
    The seller won't let me get the gas checked!
    • #1
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    The seller won't let me get the gas checked! 12th Oct 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hi everyone,

    I am a first time buyer in the process of purchasing a property, the queries are nearly complete however I have also requsted that from the seller that the Gas and electrics could be tested at my expense as the seller is not obliged to pay for them checks to be done.

    The seller kicked up a little fuss saying that he didn't want the gas tested, i then contacted his Estate agent to say i am not paying for the electric to be tested if the gas can't be tested too. (why one without the other)

    The estate agent then contacted the seller to say this the seller then agreed to the testing, electrics have been tested and complete, now when it comes to the gas the seller now has said he doesn't want the gas tested again, when i specifcly said to his estate agent to pass onto the seller i am not going to just get the electrics tested without the gas.

    The seller has said that he doesn't want his boiler switched off in case there is a problem with it, but the seller states the boiler is in full working condition, seems really strange to me if nothing is wrong like the seller has said,... what's he got to worry about?

    I don't think I am being unreasonable at all I just want the gas checked one to make sure it works as I can't afford a whole new boiler soon as I move in and second to make sure the thing is safe!...I'm not too worried about any minor issues with it.

    The seller wants a quick sale and has had his offer accepted on a another property without a chain so he needs this sale to go through.

    Any advice?, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by PerryJ; 12-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Comms69
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    Well you have two options:


    threaten to pull out
    or don't


    At the end of the day that is your only leverage.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Grenage
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    In your position I would say that you will pull out, and mean it. It's weird to refuse such a request, and I'd be suspicious.

    If they want a quick turnaround and there's a chain, it seems unlikely they'll ditch the sale.

    Regardless; you should plan to have some money aside for whatever needs sorting when you move. There's always something.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 47,784 Thanks
    G_M
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    There is something wrong with the gas, or the boiler.

    The seller knows this.

    Either accept that once you buy you will have to fix whatever it is, at whatever cost, or find another property with a seller who is cooperative.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 57,634 Thanks
    LEJC
    • #5
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • #5
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    You can accept the situation as it is and continue with no gas check or you can just make the assumption that once you move in there may be work of some level to complete....if you were to assume the worst cost wise it can only get better if the fix costs less!

    The vendor clearly has some reason to believe that all might not be well with some aspect of the gas in the property...and it could be minor,it could be more complicated.

    If you don't have the funds for a fix after completion I guess the question is can you afford to actually pull out and how far down the buying process are you.

    Presumably even if the vendor allows the gas check that may or may not highlight the problem.....would that have been a point at which you were intending to renegotiate the purchase price.

    you are not being unreasonable with your request in any way....but potentially from the vendors point of view its what will you then do with the information you get ....renegotiate or is it a case of needing to know how much to factor in for onward renovation once you own.....
    The answer to that question may determine whether the sale falls through our not...vendor driven because they don't want to renegotiate..or buyer driven because you can't get the information you want in order to proceed.
    Last edited by LEJC; 12-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

    2017 toiletries challenge 141 out 118 in ...£14.92 spend
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 12th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • #6
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • #6
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    You should have specified the gas be tested first if you knew this was an issue, and then get the electrics done. However this boat has sailed, any checks / money invested has now gone.

    Ultimately the seller doesn’t HAVE to let you test the gas. You don’t HAVE to purchase the property.
    Depends who’s more willing.. the seller to give in on the gas testing to keep the purchase alive or you to purchase without testing the gas.

    All you can do is threaten to pull out, but if it turns out the seller isn’t as keen on the purchase as you think, you may be forced into losing the sale.. so decide if you’d rather purchase without testing in the end.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 5,683 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • #7
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • #7
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    The seller has said that he doesn't want his boiler switched off in case there is a problem with it, but the seller states the boiler is in full working condition
    Originally posted by PerryJ
    Have you at the very least checked that the boiler appears to be working when you viewed the property?
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 12th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    • #8
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • #8
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    Probably the boiler has an intermittent fault and the vendor does not want to risk it flaring up
    If you are fine replacing the boiler straight away you can proceed I suppose
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 5,265 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    eddddy
    • #9
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • #9
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    Or another approach might be to say that either the gas and boiler are tested to ensure they are ok....

    .... or you will have to assume that there may be a problem, and you will have to reduce your offer by £2k to cover the possible cost of any remedial work.
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 12th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    rosyw
    I would be assuming there is a fault with the boiler, which may or may not mean paying out for a replacement. Then I'd be working out the cost of replacing the boiler if needed and weighing that against the costs already incurred in the purchase, searches, survey, legal fees etc., which will have to be paid if you pull out AND have to be paid again on the next property. Swings and roundabouts.
    • thelem
    • By thelem 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    thelem
    I agree with eddddy. Assume that the boiler needs to be replaced or other work is needed on the gas and proceed from there. That may mean reducing your offer because you've had to make this assumption. Hopefully that will be enough for them to allow you to have the gas checked, but if not then you'll have to decide if it's enough to make you pull out. I wouldn't expect them to actually accept the reduced sale price.

    Having said that, how many times have you sent people round to inspect the property, and were they all discussed with the vendor up front? They might just be fed up with having to be around for all the inspections, or think you are using them as a delaying tactic.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • chappers
    • By chappers 12th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    chappers
    I agree say to them that as you can't see sight that the boiler is safe that your only option is to reduce the price by £2000 on the assumption that your determined resistance to having it tested only leads me to to believe that you are aware of a problem that you are unwilling to reveal.

    see what they say to that, if they refuse then you have to make the decision to chance your arm or pull out of the deal.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15,238 Posts
    • 20,740 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    There is obviously something wrong with the boiler.

    Either:

    1. Insists in writing that the boiler is in good working condition even though they are refusing to have it checked, and are happy to pay all costs to have it fixed or replaced should it not work.

    2. Reduce offer by £x to cover the cost of a new boiler if they refuse to let you check it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

  • Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

  • Follow Martin