Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tractorman123
    • By Tractorman123 12th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Tractorman123
    Nationwide refer a friend: joint account
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    Nationwide refer a friend: joint account 12th Oct 17 at 11:50 AM
    Hi guys, me and the wife have a second joint account with RBS for Christmas money, can I use the nationwide's refer a friend to switch this joint account to a flex-direct and get £200?
    I take it I'd just use my wifes name and email as I can't recommend myself?!
    Silly question but just need the obvious pointed out!
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 13th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    This is exactly what I'm trying - there is nothing (as far as I can tell) in the t & c to preclude this, so long as I don't recommend myself
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 13th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Mogley
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    Just a suggestion but why don't you and your wife open individual accounts with RBS. Set up two direct debits on each of the new accounts and recommend each other for individual flexdirect accounts to bag £400?

I think what you suggest is feasible as long as you log in to your nationwide online banking and fill out the refer a friend form. Your wife then initiates the switch from her online banking and fills out the form in the link you email to her.
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
    • Tractorman123
    • By Tractorman123 21st Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tractorman123
    • 21st Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 21st Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    I already have a sole Flex Direct account but its just paying 1% at the minute (shouldve downgraded it a while ago!), so was thinking I could switch the joint account for a year, while downgrading my sole flexdirect and then upgrading it the following year when the joint goes to 1% (if still available!).
    • Mogley
    • By Mogley 23rd Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Mogley
    • 23rd Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 23rd Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    I already have a sole Flex Direct account but its just paying 1% at the minute (shouldve downgraded it a while ago!), so was thinking I could switch the joint account for a year, while downgrading my sole flexdirect and then upgrading it the following year when the joint goes to 1% (if still available!).
    Originally posted by Tractorman123

It looks like Nationwide are changing their t's&c's in January to not allow anybody who has previously held a promotional rate to obtain it again.
    You can still do a refer a friend switch on an already open account (if you haven't already claimed a refer a friend bonus).
    No.25 for 2017 £1070/£4000 saved.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 23rd Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 23rd Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 23rd Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    It looks like Nationwide are changing their t's&c's in January to not allow anybody who has previously held a promotional rate to obtain it again.
    You can still do a refer a friend switch on an already open account (if you haven't already claimed a refer a friend bonus).
    Originally posted by Mogley
    So once five friends are referred that's it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,809Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin