Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JJ2k1981
    • By JJ2k1981 12th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JJ2k1981
    Universal credits querie
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    Universal credits querie 12th Oct 17 at 11:25 AM
    Hi, I've been on universal credits for about 4 months now but when the switch went from Jsa and housing benefits it put me into arrears with my council. I get the standard rate of universal credits for housing but because of the increase of the rent by an extra 70 a month its leaving me a bit short with money. Just wondering how to go about the situation. Thanks for reading
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 12,787 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    Did the arrears come about because of the switch to UC (not sure how that happened as UC is backdated) or because of the increase in the rent?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 12,787 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    In any case you could apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment is there is a good reason for not being able to pay it.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Discretionary-Housing-Payment/What-is-a-Discretionary-Housing-Payment

Why has your rent increased? Due to a non dependent deduction?
    • JJ2k1981
    • By JJ2k1981 12th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JJ2k1981
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    Yes it happened while I was on the switch over. To be honest the universal credits has flipped me upside down financially. I think it was also because they paid to much housing benefit and have also deducted that from my claim. I did go self employed for a total of one month which also threw a spanner in the works. Thanks for the reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin