Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jd87
    • By jd87 12th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2,261Posts
    • 1,207Thanks
    jd87
    Nuffield Health - CBT cost
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    Nuffield Health - CBT cost 12th Oct 17 at 11:14 AM
    Does anyone know roughly how much Nuffield Health charge for CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is considering using it.

He had a phone assessment with a nurse today who confirmed CBT would be suitable for his problems, and was then transferred to an admin person to discuss costs, booking, etc. He was told that his health insurance (Vitality) would cover the first 8 sessions (excess payable). When he asked how much further sessions would cost, if 8 wasn't enough, he was apparently told they "cannot discuss the cost of that".

How can he make a decision if Nuffield are being so evasive and non-transparent? Anyone have any experience of this?

Also more generally, can anyone give a reasonable price range for CBT in London?

Page 1
    • Bargin_bunny
    • By Bargin_bunny 14th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bargin_bunny
    • 14th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    I assume the person who did the screening call was not a therapist therefore they can't guess how many sessions your friend needs.
    I'm not sure how much Nuffield health charges per session.
    If your friend wants to find a CBT therapist in their area though I would suggest searching through this site:http://www.cbtregisteruk.com/Default.aspx
    The BABCP are the accredited body for CBT therapists. To maintain membership you have to have completed an accredited course, continue to prove your ability to do the job via Continual professional development and adequate supervision.
    Everyone who works for private companies like Nuffield, BUPA, AXA etc has to be accredited. They are likely therefore to be the same therapists who are on the register. It maybe cheaper to go directly to the source.
    The internet is littered with people who say they do CBT who have done a short course in it or it's part of a counselling course. It's scary what people experience under the title CBT
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 14th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 14th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    If the admin person only dealt with insurance patients they may not know the standard price, as insurers will be charged differently.

I would recommend seeing someone initially to get an idea of how many sessions may be needed, and if CBT is the most appropriate therapy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin