Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshmike
    • By welshmike 12th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 23Thanks
    welshmike
    Post Office* Online Saver account - useless
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    Post Office* Online Saver account - useless 12th Oct 17 at 10:55 AM
    I spent time today attempting to pay into my new account with the above.
    System was down then server timed me out. Phone line on hold with useless noisy recording. Total incompetence just for 1.27%.
Page 3
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 4th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    Opened a Post Office online saver 1.3% over a week ago as it's the current recommended top account on MSE.

Not impressed. Very quick to setup an online account .... however, I haven't received a clear statement giving me an account/sort code.

Can't find a sort code on the web account and the saver account has the first 4 digits of the account blanked out with asterisks.

I got the account number, but only because it came through in the post because of the direct debit setup. Though even that doesn't give the sort-code!.

The direct debit on the nominated account doesn't have it (the sort-code) either which is weird. Have requested a £1 transfer via direct debit several days ago nothing seems to have changed. Though did get an email informing me that I haven't put in any initial funds, so they may close the account. Useless, am thinking of cancelling it, I'm not about to put money into an account that even I don't have the details to!. Judging by the posts on this forum MSE should remove the recommendation, or at least put up a note to say people have been having issues with the service before people find out for themselves!
    Originally posted by wongryt
    Similar problem:-

I had an existing Online Saver Iss 23 that was still only paying 1.01% interest, so I opened a new Iss 28 account paying 1.3% and transferred the balance. It was not obvious how to do this as an existing customer. The process involves being logged out of secure banking but the system seems to somehow remember that you are an existing customer. Cookies perhaps?
    Anyhow, that part of the process seemed to work ok.

I now have the same problem of being unable to determine the new account number: The first four digits are blanked out with asterisks.

I can get the old 8-digit account number by requesting and downloading a statement, but that does not work for the new account because a statement is not yet available.

The account numbers shown against the transactions used to transfer the balance are not the same as the 8-digit account numbers that appear on the statements: They have 13-digits and do not include the last digit of the 8-digit account number.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to get your 8-digit account number?
    Last edited by dosh37; 04-01-2018 at 1:31 PM.
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 4th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    BTW: Other people have asked about the Sort Code.
    I believe it is 90-78-68 for all Post Office Online Saver Accounts.
    • Hydro1
    • By Hydro1 4th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Hydro1
    Similar problem:-

I had an existing Online Saver Iss 23 that was still only paying 1.01% interest, so I opened a new Iss 28 account paying 1.3% and transferred the balance. It was not obvious how to do this as an existing customer. The process involves being logged out of secure banking but the system seems to somehow remember out that you are an existing customer. Cookies perhaps?
    Anyhow, that part of the process seemed to work ok.

I now have the same problem of being unable to determine the new account number: The first four digits are blanked out with asterisks.

I can get the old 8-digit account number by requesting and downloading a statement, but that does not work for the new account because a statement is not yet available.

The account numbers shown against the transactions used to transfer the balance are not the same as the 8-digit account numbers that appear on the statements: They have 13-digits and do not include the last digit of the 8-digit account number.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to get your 8-digit account number?
    Originally posted by dosh37
    dosh37, when looking at the 13 digit number in transactions, aren't the first 6 digits the PO's sortcode which you have just quoted. The remaining 7 digits are your account number, with the 8th digit missing as you say. That digit can be seen in account summary.
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 4th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    dosh37, when looking at the 13 digit number in transactions, aren't the first 6 digits the PO's sortcode which you have just quoted. The remaining 7 digits are your account number, with the 8th digit missing as you say. That digit can be seen in account summary.
    Originally posted by Hydro1
    Yes - That's what I figured. I think you are right.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 7th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Rich2808
    Same problem re above, I have had four different letters and an email about my new account - but no where does it state what the sort code and account number is. Isn't that the most obvious thing they need to tell you when opening your account?

I have online access but it blocks out the first four digits of the account number. Bizarre.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    glider3560
    Same problem re above, I have had four different letters and an email about my new account - but no where does it state what the sort code and account number is. Isn't that the most obvious thing they need to tell you when opening your account?

I have online access but it blocks out the first four digits of the account number. Bizarre.
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    The sort code and account number were included on the letter headed "Great to have you on board".

Other letters don't have the account number. Not good if you have several accounts with them!

• soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 8th Jan 18, 12:03 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Go to statements; select ac you want full ac number for from drop list; click latest statement; at the top of the page is full ac number.
    Or..
    Select 'transfer money in'; select ac; select, say, £1; next; top of the next page tells you ac number in full.
    Or
    Go to nominated account and look at the DDs set up, prob shows the full ac number.

Carp... ? It's their version of someone not being able to shoulder surf or unuseable info if mail gets in the wrong hands... they clearly know some of their postmen... I suspect.
    Last edited by soulsaver; 08-01-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added 3rd option
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,882Users online

Martin's Twitter