Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneyPenny
    • By MoneyPenny 12th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MoneyPenny
    BT speed test
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    BT speed test 12th Oct 17 at 9:49 AM
    My BT broadband using their own speed tester, for which you need to be logged into your BT account, invariably registers 52 Mb/s for downloads, whereas using the recommended Broadband Choices Tester it regularly says the download speed is under 12MB/s.

How would you interpret this?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 31,739 Posts
    • 37,453 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    BT ones testing to the local exchange , not the "nearest server"

Bt one is the only system that the reps can see if you have problems
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • MoneyPenny
    • By MoneyPenny 12th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyPenny
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    Thanks.
    Please explain the difference ("nearest server"?) in more detail.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 9,724 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    My nearest Speed test server is twenty miles away my exchange is 2 miles .
    Speed testers non BT depend upon what distance you are from the server and how many users on at the same time .
    The BT wholesale test has a further diagnostics page and that gives you your IP .
    Speed tests are only of use if a direct connection via ethernet and not wifi .
    • almillar
    • By almillar 12th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 7,062 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    almillar
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    52 Mb/s for downloads
    the download speed is under 12MB/s.
    Maybe they're both right. See the little 'b' and the big 'B'? If they're being used correctly above, 'b' means 'bit' and 'B' means Byte. A byte is of 8 bits.
    Your pure internet connection is usually quoted in bits, but file sizes are usually quoted in bytes.

So that 12MB/s would be 96Mb/s, or your 52 Mb/s would be 6.5MB/s.
    Take your pick, it might be somewhere in between.
    • MoneyPenny
    • By MoneyPenny 12th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyPenny
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Can see the difference now.
    b / B just careless typing, they should have beeen the same size.
    Woops; been the same size!
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    My BT broadband using their own speed tester, for which you need to be logged into your BT account, invariably registers 52 Mb/s for downloads, whereas using the recommended Broadband Choices Tester it regularly says the download speed is under 12MB/s.

How would you interpret this?
    Originally posted by MoneyPenny
    You need to know the difference between what your provider is responsible for and what they have no control over, congestion on the 'internet' leading to slow speed could be down to lots of things that BT have no control over, using their own speed tester everything involved is under their direct control...so speed problems that are apparent using the BT tester would be looked at, 'problems' using someone else's speed tester wouldn't be.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    You need to know the difference between what your provider is responsible for and what they have no control over, congestion on the 'internet' leading to slow speed could be down to lots of things that BT have no control over, using their own speed tester everything involved is under their direct control...so speed problems that are apparent using the BT tester would be looked at, 'problems' using someone else's speed tester wouldn't be.
    Originally posted by iniltous

Though you can (and should) argue that they should have enough provision to provide enough bandwidth to the greater internet and they are reposible for providing this. If the congestion is out from them which thir internal tests will not test they it is still their problem. Nothing that a good speed tester with traceroute times would not check though.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 12th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    Though you can (and should) argue that they should have enough provision to provide enough bandwidth to the greater internet and they are reposible for providing this. If the congestion is out from them which thir internal tests will not test they it is still their problem. Nothing that a good speed tester with traceroute times would not check though.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Not sure I follow your logic, if the speed tester is hosted on a conjested or inadequate server, how is that necessarily 'BT's' problem

Just done a test myself using the speed tester the OP quotes using my 70Mb VM connection, it shows 18Mb/s download, using an alternative speed tester Ookla , shows more than twice that speed 36Mb/s, tests conducted seconds after each other.

Broadband switching sites such as the one the OP quotes, make money by people using that site to switch providers , and people may well be more likely to switch providers if they think their current provider is not providing a good speed.
    Perhaps sites such as these may not be the best arbiter of good/bad speeds as poor indicated speeds from a comparision /switching web sites own speed tester is more likely to generate a switching customer, and 'good' speeds may persuade some to stay with their current ISP.
    I'm not passing judgement on that particular site, just observing that these type of sites have a vested interest and may not be the best place to check speed
    Last edited by iniltous; 12-10-2017 at 9:39 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Personally, I use thinkbroadband's tester -seems to be the most consistent/reliable
    • Walaboobah
    • By Walaboobah 13th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Walaboobah
    My speed is pretty much the same on BT Wholesale ,Ookla and Think Broadband, between 36Mbs with Ookla and 37.5 with Think and 37.77 with BT
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,226Posts Today

9,298Users online

Martin's Twitter