Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 7,675Posts
    • 25,812Thanks
    Primrose
    Hot water bottles
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    Hot water bottles 12th Oct 17 at 9:34 AM
    Gave ours a winter test run. Noticed when emptying the water there were a lot of loose little rubber bits coming out. Is this normal or a sign that the rubber is perishing and it needs to be replaced?

Dont want it leaking all over the bedclothes!
Page 1
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 12th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 6,370 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    Yes it is!
    And can't be mended unfortunately!
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 12th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    I no longer use rubber hot water bottles (can't bear the smell!)....but back in my teens, I remember filling one from the top and screeching as it seeped out the bottom - the rubber had perished!

Sadly, Primrose, it sounds like you may need a new one.

I much prefer the wheat-bag type...they don't stay quite as warm as the rubber type...but they heat up in the microwave and are generally speaking much safer (for children...and for disabled people like myself who redefine 'klutz'!)....and more recently I splashed out the pennies and bough a pad that you plug in to heat up and then zip into a furry pouch - I can pop it into the bed at 8:30, have a snuggly warm bed when I turn in, and it is STILL warm at 2am! - and it is sheer BLISS tucked against my back when I get a Hexenschuss (a witch's kick/jolt.....aka lumbago!, sometimes German is just so beautifully expressive!)
    Last edited by Prinzessilein; 13-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 12th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 8,905 Thanks
    phizzimum
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    I’m glad I’ve read this thread, looks like it’s time to replace mine.

I usually empty my hot water bottle down the loo (to save a flush!) that’s when I noticed all the flecks of pink plastic (which took several flushes to clear)
    weaving through the chaos...
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 3,158 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    I got rid of my old hot water bottle when I noticed the rubber washer inside the screw top was perished.

What I would really like is a smooth brick or maybe a stone I could heat on the radiator or next to the fire.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    More recently I splashed out the pennies and bought a pad that you plug in to heat up and then zip into a furry pouch - I can pop it into the bed at 8:30, have a snuggly warm bed when I turn in, and it is STILL war at 2am! - and it is sheer BLISS tucked against my back when I get a Hexenschuss (a witch's kick/jolt.....aka lumbago!, sometimes German is just so beautifully expressive!)
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Love it!

What I would really like is a smooth brick or maybe a stone I could heat on the radiator or next to the fire.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    Sounds like you want an old fashioned stoneware hot water bottle! I'm of an age to remember these; DM would fill it up with hot water and wrap it in a towel before putting it in the bed - they were unbelievably hot, too hot to put your bare feet on.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £76.92 = £123.08 / 13/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 15,381 Posts
    • 125,291 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    Hexenschuss brilliantly expressive word and even the translation is good 'witchs kick ' I know the feeling well
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    • 23,546 Posts
    • 49,275 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:20 AM
    It’s funny, mine has lasted for years with very regular use. But now I’ve read Prinzessilein’s recommendation I want a wheat pack! Have P’inned an image to my wishlist and will look out for it in chazzers henceforth.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 13th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    Sounds like you want an old fashioned stoneware hot water bottle! I'm of an age to remember these; DM would fill it up with hot water and wrap it in a towel before putting it in the bed - they were unbelievably hot, too hot to put your bare feet on.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Yep! Bring back the “stone piggy”! Can’t beat it for getting the bed warm, but how it hurt when you accidentally kicked it in the middle of the night!
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 13th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    One of my hot water bottles sprang a slow leak recently. I had it stuffed up my jumper at the time! Luckily it had cooled off somewhat before leaking so I wasn't scalded but I did end up sitting in a large puddle with soaking clothes before I noticed!

Take care with wheat bags, they too can deteriorate. I think they have a random lifespan or number of zaps before this happens but when it does it makes them more prone to catching on fire. The dangerous thing is they tend to have a slow smoulder rather than flames so they have been the cause of bad fires where they have been tucked away under peoples bedclothes smouldering away surrounded by lots of flammable materials, seriously scary.

I like the sound of the plug in thingamabob, will look into them.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 13th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    melanzana
    Have any of you switched to an all night electric blanket yet?

I know the outlay is bigger than a hot water bottle, but the running costs are minimal!

I have, and I honestly sleep like a log now. High setting getting into bed and then the lowest overnight. It is just sooooo lovely.

I always sleep in an unheated bedroom though. Never looked back. Even on the coldest night, a cool/cold room and a warm bed will sort you out, and fewer colds/coughs too. Believe me!

Just saying....
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,255 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Hexenschuss brilliantly expressive word and even the translation is good 'witchs kick ' I know the feeling well
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I think so, too. I wonder if there's a super-expressive German word for the kind of beastly leg cramp that leaves your calf feeling like it's bruised four days later??
    Have any of you switched to an all night electric blanket yet?
    Originally posted by melanzana
    I'm terrified of electric blankets, having experienced a house fire caused by a faulty one, many years ago.
    Like Prinzess I use wheaty bags; I was told to put a half-full mug of water in the microwave with them when heating them; I gather it stops the filling from getting crispy-dry.
    I may look into the plug-in thingy though, that sounds good.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 51,000 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I much prefer the wheat-bag type...they don't stay quite as warm as the rubber type...but they heat up in the microwave and are generally speaking much safer (for children...and for disabled people like myself who redefine 'klutz'!)
    Which is OK, until there's a power cut.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Oct 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4,589 Posts
    • 19,672 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've had plastic hot water bottles for years. The oldest one must be over 20 years old, it only has occasional use, but is in very good nick. Have lasted way longer than any rubber ones ever did.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 18,543 Thanks
    JIL
    I love my rubber hotwater bottles the smell brings back lovely memories of bed time as a little girl with a hotwater bottle, hot chocolate and half a slice of toast.
    There's always been something comforting about them since.

I was fortunate to buy about ten hot water bottles from super drug a couple of years ago for 20p each, so any signs of wear I have a replacement. I did give some away, but at night I like nothing better than watching TV curled up on the sofa with a throw, the dog and a hotwater bottle. So much so that at about 8pm husband will make his cup of tea and come back with a filled hot water bottle for me!

I do like the smell of the wheat filled ones, but not such pleasant thoughts, the girls at work use them and over the past few days there have been quite a few in the queue for the microwave, when I wanted to warm up my soup.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 18,543 Thanks
    JIL
    Which is OK, until there's a power cut.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Most kettles are electric?

Unless you have gas, everyone would be in the same boat.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 14th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 51,000 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob

Originally posted by JIL
    In the absence of a stove top kettle, you can heat water in a pan, on an open fire, or a camping stove.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,255 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I was fortunate to buy about ten hot water bottles from super drug a couple of years ago for 20p each, so any signs of wear I have a replacement. I did give some away, but at night I like nothing better than watching TV curled up on the sofa with a throw, the dog and a hotwater bottle. So much so that at about 8pm husband will make his cup of tea and come back with a filled hot water bottle for me!
    Originally posted by JIL
    This has reminded me of a tale my grandmother told - my aunt, years ago, started dating a chap, and one day he invited her round to his place for a cup of tea. She was aghast when he tipped water out of his hot water bottle into the kettle and switched it on to make the tea. I'm told she was out of there like a dose of salts, and that was the end of that would-be romance!

Originally posted by JIL
    That's why, when we had the kitchen refitted, Mr LW insisted on a gas cooker. Three years later and I'm still scared of the darn thing!
    LameWolf
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    In the absence of a stove top kettle, you can heat water in a pan, on an open fire, or a camping stove.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    I started using wheat bags because disabilities mean that pouring from a boiling kettle can be dangerous for me....I doubt anyone is going to let me near a fire or camping stove!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,255 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I started using wheat bags because disabilities mean that pouring from a boiling kettle can be dangerous for me....I doubt anyone is going to let me near a fire or camping stove!
    Same here; I'm not even allowed near the kitchen knives on bad days when I have what we call "The Dropsies".
    LameWolf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

494Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin