Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 60camraman60
    • By 60camraman60 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 28Thanks
    60camraman60
    Named Driver or Own Insurance
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    Named Driver or Own Insurance 12th Oct 17 at 8:48 AM
    I have two girls. One is 20 passed test 2 years and one 18 passed 9 month ago.
    I have 2 cars, 1 insured for me only, due to cost and one insured for the 3 of us. Girl 1 is in potentially last year at uni and may be home next year, girl two will probably going to uni next year. I need ideas on the best way to insure "our" car. The renewal cost has just come through and almost doubled even though they have both been named drivers on the policy before, with me as policy holder but youngest as main driver. The new quotes show cheaper if we use one of them as policy holder (also she will start gaining NCB) but as the "main driver" may switch next year with one of them going away for approx 6 months of the year (on and off) and the other coming home how will that affect the accrued NCB. Just to further complicate the issue the other will have to start gaining NCB sometime as well. Was with a company last year who allow NCB on named drivers but only if you stop with them. Its them that has doubled the cost. Ideas please.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    Changing main driver doesn't affect the NCD (which is normally awarded to the policyholder)

"Named driver ncd" when offered by an insurer isn't "proper, transferrable ncd" and normally does insist that the named driver can only use the NCD on purchasing their own policy with that company. (In any case other insurers are unlikely to accept named driver NCD earned elsewhere)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,219Posts Today

7,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin