Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marcus-H
    • By Marcus-H 12th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Marcus-H
    How long does Stamp Duty Refunds take?
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    How long does Stamp Duty Refunds take? 12th Oct 17 at 7:29 AM
    Anyone know the current payment timeline?

Submitted my refund in last week of August.
    Got an email receipt saying "You’ll normally receive a response within 35 days."

Not heard a thing & now into over 45 days (& 35 business days).

Tried calling the helpline number, but they have no idea as payments are by another department who are not contactable by phone.

*rant* Bet if i had paid it late they be fining me & charging me interest.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 4,350 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    is this a refund of higher rate SDLT?

if so then your response is a bit "odd" given the timescale HMRC itself lists:
    Q33.
    How long will take for the refund to be paid?
    A33.
    HMRC aims to process all repayment requests within 15 working days. This assumes that you provide HMRC with all the information we need upfront. The repayment request form, which is available on GOV.UK, sets out all the information that HMRC will need to process a repayment. Link to form:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-apply-for-arepayment-of-the-higher-rates-for-additional-properties.
    Q34.
    Will I be paid compensation if the refund takes longer than 15 working days?
    A34.
    HMRC does not pay compensation if a refund takes longer than 15 days. However, you will be entitled to interest on the amount paid, which will be included automatically in the repayment.
    • Marcus-H
    • By Marcus-H 12th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Marcus-H
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    Yes
    Bought before my sale went through so got hit with the extra 3%
    Submitted online once sale went through & was advised it takes 35 days! Now upto near 50 days and over 35 business days. Certainly a lot longer than the Q&A
    • Marcus-H
    • By Marcus-H 13th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Marcus-H
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    cheque turned up today with a little extra for interest (not much!) - just incase anyone finds this thread looking for the same info.
    Took 40 business days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter