Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    • 2,836Posts
    • 38,293Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 12th October 2017
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 12th October 2017 12th Oct 17 at 6:18 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 12th October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was roasted chicken thighs, pizza, a mix of curly fries and french fries, baked beans and HM coleslaw. Tonight will be something using eggs, possibly I'll make a frittata with mushrooms, ham/bacon and cheese in it, also I have several peppers that need using up, so mayble roasted peppers stuffed with cous cous. I may make some sort of rice dish also.

Work yesterday was a steadier day but again all or nothing - I was doing one job in the morning and then something different in the afternoon. Now on days' off, today I have a nail appointment and another appointment from lunch time into this afternoon, so this morning, I'll run round with the duster and hoover as most of the afternoon will be gone by the time I get home. I'll also be visiting the bank and building society whilst in town.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-10-2017 at 6:30 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Was up at the crack of dawn this morning ( well 7.15am is early for me ) awaiting the DGC arrival at 7.50am. DGS couldn't get enough breakfast down him and consumed one and a half large chocolate croissants and a pain au chocolate. He has put in his order for tomorrow of bacon, sausage and egg, he's getting cheeky now he's 8 . Meanwhile DGD didn't want to go to school as she had a sore foot ( methinks she wanted to stay with us again as it's much more fun ) but ate the other half of the croissant and a bowl of coco pops. Both were in school at 9am.
    I have just come back from Dads where I stripped his bed and remade it, then cleaned his bedroom top to bottom. ( He does try to help but ends up wheezing too much ). Then I hoovered down the stairs and cleaned his bathroom, kitchen worktops, sink and the floor. I am going to go back one day next week to finish the downstairs rooms.
    School pick up is at 3.20 and 3.30 but we have to leave just before 3pm so that we can find a parking space. DSiL is on collection tonight, about 4 to 4.30. as DGS has football practice.
    Dad will come over later for tea which will be lamb curry a la Mr Fix It, with all the fixings ( poppadoms, bhjais etc ). Had to keep him busy today too .
    Tru you're welcome
    Cranky hope your leg heals soon
    RosyRed the cheek of some people, that takes the biscuit ( er sorry, path - I'll get my coat )
    Judi my parents allowed me to choose the colours in my bedroom when I was a teenager. I had bright orange and deep purple wallpaper. I thought it looked cool .
    TA I hope you enjoyed your mystery outing.
    Hugs to all
    nan
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 61,844 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi my parents allowed me to choose the colours in my bedroom when I was a teenager. I had bright orange and deep purple wallpaper. I thought it looked coo
    I was allowed to choose my colours too, lilac and lemon but it did actually look quite nice.

I'll see if we can come up with a compromise. Neutral colours with essences of the colour he likes. As yet, no response from him to my messages.

Grump says no way is he having block colours of gunmetal and navy because it will look like a cave.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 12th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 11,196 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all

Thursday is always my "tired" day after looking after DGD at the beginning of the week. I have got quite a lot done, kitchen and bathroom floors cleaned, bathroom cleaned, towel wash out on the line....

DD texted just after 9am to urgently discuss childcare arrangements as she is negotiating to get work on a Monday as she wants to get off income support so needs 16 hours work per week. Between us we decided that she would change DGS's nursery hours to the beginning of the week as there was only one space left so we needed to decide quickly. She may be able to get the 30 hours free childcare, but for now changing hours to the beginning of the week means we won't have to look after him for two and a half days straight if this new job comes off.

OH also booked a weekend away this weekend to visit the West Somerset Railway for his birthday while all this was going on.

Friends then called us to collect some strawberry runners which we exchanged for apples. We stopped and had a coffee with them and made spur of the moment plans to have a meal out tonight. Phew!

Looking for a quieter day tomorrow.

have a good evening all.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    Floss
    Judi how about silver grey walls with gunmetal floor covering & navy curtains, with one "feature" wall of paper and navy & grey bedding?

DS2 decorated his bedroom when he was 15 - one wall was covered in posters & photos and the other walls were white with one having lime, orange & bright blue zig-zags...goodness knows what the next HA tenants thought!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 34,160 Thanks
    Gers
    All this talk of bedroom decorations has taken me right back to when I was first allowed to decorate my room. Purple waffle bed linen and then I got The Beatles White Album. It came with four huge posters (one each of the group) which I hung from the corners of the room. Drawing pins to hold them up. Then I got sheets of brown paper the same size as the posters, cut them into weird patterns and hung them in between. loved it!

My trip to Glasgow was slightly surreal until it dawned on me that the man was rather confused. After that I just followed his lead in the conversation. Dropped him off, zipped off to the QE for paperwork and then had a slight detour into town.

Turns out my DM wasn’t at a friend’s place but yet another hospital for her annual glaucoma test. When I eventually picked her up she was very grumpy as she had missed her name being called five times as she’s so deaf!

Now we’ve had some of my venison casserole (delicious if I say so myself) and I’m ready for TV. Mind you, my thoughts are still whirling around the 1970s.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    Floss
    Gers do your DM's hospital notes state that she is deaf? Maybe that needs checking out for her continued independence?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 61,844 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi how about silver grey walls with gunmetal floor covering & navy curtains, with one "feature" wall of paper and navy & grey bedding?

DS2 decorated his bedroom when he was 15 - one wall was covered in posters & photos and the other walls were white with one having lime, orange & bright blue zig-zags...goodness knows what the next HA tenants thought!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Your suggestion has been put to him. No he doesn't want wallpaper and he expects Dad to pay...
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    Floss
    Well in that case he lives with what he has.... cut one's coat etc etc....
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 34,160 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers do your DM's hospital notes state that she is deaf? Maybe that needs checking out for her continued independence?
    Originally posted by Floss
    Thanks.
    They didn’t but I went to speak to them and it’s been added now. So much for information technology in the NHS.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 12th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    dp1
    One wall of my quite small bedroom was completely covered with newspaper cuttings about Dallas and Dynasty - up to the ceiling! I think I was about 15. I imagine it looked terrible but I thought it was amazing. I wish I had a photo of it! The other walls were basically posters of male pop stars and actors. My mam thought that programmes such as Dallas were completely unsuitable so I had to watch up in my room on a black and white portable! I had to hold the aerial to get a picture.....and no heating in my bedroom....hard times!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 3,916 Posts
    • 31,552 Thanks
    Floss
    DP1 pre 1982 - I had a wall covered in posters, scraps of cuttings & collages mainly of Peanuts cartoons, tennis players, pop stars & race drivers...the rule was blu-tack only, no pins!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter