Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 2:40 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    D.va
    ESA and Carers Allowance
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:40 AM
    ESA and Carers Allowance 12th Oct 17 at 2:40 AM
    Hello everyone! I am caring for my mother at the moment, but I do not claim Carers Allowance. However, I now would like to start claiming CA, for reasons concerning my new husband's visa. I won't bore anyone with visa stuff - just know that I am needing to get full CA, not just the Carer's Premium.

Right now I get ESA; I'm in the support group (about £125 per week). I earn too much to get full Carer's Allowance, and I would just have an 'underlying eligibility.' So my question basically is, what is the best way for me to go about getting full Carers Allowance? The options I have looked into are:

(1) Claiming ESA in the WRAG group if possible (meaning I would earn less than £116 per week) and claiming CA on top of that. I did a benefits calculator, and it said I could get £74.40 weekly for ESA WRAG, and £62.70 for CA. Since these benefits added together pushes me over the £116 weekly amount, would I not get full CA by doing this?

(2) Ditching ESA completely and claiming CA and Income Support. Would I get full CA by doing this?

If anyone has any ideas or any thoughts to share in general, I'd be very grateful.
Page 2
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    Please apply for Carer's Allowance.

Based on what you have said you qualify.

The Carer's Premium is paid as part of your ESA so it will not appear on your bank statement as something separate.

Carer's Allowance will be shown on your bank statement - not sure how it is worded (someone?)

In any case you will receive a letter about your CA which will be your evidence that you are receiving it.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    That is great news! I think I could do the visa application with that no problem. I had no idea that both the CA and the Premium could/would be paid. I thought it was either one or the other. I must have misunderstood earnings limits and the CP itself. Thank you, you've been so helpful. I will definitely apply. Also big thanks to everyone else who took the time to advise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin