Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 2:40 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    D.va
    ESA and Carers Allowance
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:40 AM
    ESA and Carers Allowance 12th Oct 17 at 2:40 AM
    Hello everyone! I am caring for my mother at the moment, but I do not claim Carers Allowance. However, I now would like to start claiming CA, for reasons concerning my new husband's visa. I won't bore anyone with visa stuff - just know that I am needing to get full CA, not just the Carer's Premium.

Right now I get ESA; I'm in the support group (about £125 per week). I earn too much to get full Carer's Allowance, and I would just have an 'underlying eligibility.' So my question basically is, what is the best way for me to go about getting full Carers Allowance? The options I have looked into are:

(1) Claiming ESA in the WRAG group if possible (meaning I would earn less than £116 per week) and claiming CA on top of that. I did a benefits calculator, and it said I could get £74.40 weekly for ESA WRAG, and £62.70 for CA. Since these benefits added together pushes me over the £116 weekly amount, would I not get full CA by doing this?

(2) Ditching ESA completely and claiming CA and Income Support. Would I get full CA by doing this?

If anyone has any ideas or any thoughts to share in general, I'd be very grateful.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    Hello everyone! I am caring for my mother at the moment, but I do not claim Carers Allowance. However, I now would like to start claiming CA, for reasons concerning my new husband's visa. I won't bore anyone with visa stuff - just know that I am needing to get full CA, not just the Carer's Premium.

Right now I get ESA; I'm in the support group (about £125 per week). I earn too much to get full Carer's Allowance, and I would just have an 'underlying eligibility.' So my question basically is, what is the best way for me to go about getting full Carers Allowance? The options I have looked into are:

(1) Claiming ESA in the WRAG group if possible (meaning I would earn less than £116 per week) and claiming CA on top of that. I did a benefits calculator, and it said I could get £74.40 weekly for ESA WRAG, and £62.70 for CA. Since these benefits added together pushes me over the £116 weekly amount, would I not get full CA by doing this?

(2) Ditching ESA completely and claiming CA and Income Support. Would I get full CA by doing this?

If anyone has any ideas or any thoughts to share in general, I'd be very grateful.
    Originally posted by D.va
    Firstly, does your mother claim Mid/high rate care DLA or Daily living PIP and do you look after her for at least 35 hours per week? if not then you won't be able to claim CA.

If it's yes then because you don't earn anything, you claim Support Group ESA then you'll have an underlying entitlement to it and get the Carers Premium. There's certain benefits that can't be claimed to gether and ESA and IS are 2 of them.
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:04 AM
    Firstly, does your mother claim Mid/high rate care DLA or Daily living PIP and do you look after her for at least 35 hours per week? if not then you won't be able to claim CA.

If it's yes then because you don't earn anything, you claim Support Group ESA then you'll have an underlying entitlement to it and get the Carers Premium. There's certain benefits that can't be claimed to gether and ESA and IS are 2 of them.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes and yes; I've made sure that I am fully eligible for CA.

Thanks for replying! But I don't quite understand what you're saying in the second part of your post. I don't want to claim ESA and IS together; I am looking to just claim one of them along with CA. However, I need to know if I will be able to get full CA (i.e. not Carers Premium) while getting either one of these benefits. I know I can't get CA while I'm in the support group.

Sorry if I was unclear in my post, but my basic question is, can I get ESA (wrag) and get full CA? If not, then could I get IS and full CA?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    Yes and yes; I've made sure that I am fully eligible for CA.

Thanks for replying! But I don't quite understand what you're saying in the second part of your post. I don't want to claim ESA and IS together; I am looking to just claim one of them along with CA. However, I need to know if I will be able to get full CA (i.e. not Carers Premium) while getting either one of these benefits. I know I can't get CA while I'm in the support group.

Sorry if I was unclear in my post, but my basic question is, can I get ESA (wrag) and get full CA? If not, then could I get IS and full CA?
    Your question was perfectly clear. You can NOT claim any ESA and CA together, you'll get the Carer premium instead. You also asked about Income Support and Carers Allowance, the same goes for that also, you can't claim them both together. What's your reason for wanting to claim the full CA only?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    Your question was perfectly clear. You can NOT claim any ESA and CA together, you'll get the Carer premium instead. You also asked about Income Support and Carers Allowance, the same goes for that also, you can't claim them both together. What's your reason for wanting to claim the full CA only?
    Because those claiming carers allowance don’t need to meet the minimum income when applying for a visa for a foreign spouse I’m assuming
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    Oh that's disappointing, I had read in several places that you can get CA and IS together.

My reason for needing full CA is that it would help a lot in being able to bring my new husband to the UK sooner. But Carers Premium doesn't count concerning the visa; it has to be actual CA. Is there anything at all I can do to top up my income on CA without having to switch to Carers Premium?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    Having checked CA and IS it seems like you can claim them together. You would get £62.70 CA and £45.35 IS but you won't be able to claim IS until your application for CA has been accepted. The backlog for CA is huge and could possibly be 10 weeks or more. If you claim CA it could affect some benefits your mum gets. If she gets Severe Disability Premium, then she'll no longer be entitled to that.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 4,061 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    There seems to be some confusion about claiming either ESA or IS and CA at the same time. You can claim both but CA will be taken fully into account against either ESA or CA (the amount of CA will be deducted from ESA or CA) and then the carer premium will be added.
    What you cannot do is receive the CA payment in full AND ESA or IS in full together.
    The Carers Premium won't be paid on ESA or IS unless the claimant has claimed Carers Allowance.
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    Having checked CA and IS it seems like you can claim them together. You would get £62.70 CA and £45.35 IS but you won't be able to claim IS until your application for CA has been accepted. The backlog for CA is huge and could possibly be 10 weeks or more. If you claim CA it could affect some benefits your mum gets. If she gets Severe Disability Premium, then she'll no longer be entitled to that.
    Oh thank you, that's good news! That's a long backlog but not too bad. Mum isn't too concerned, as long as it means that my husband is the one moving country and not me!
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    There seems to be some confusion about claiming either ESA or IS and CA at the same time. You can claim both but CA will be taken fully into account against either ESA or CA (the amount of CA will be deducted from ESA or CA) and then the carer premium will be added.
    What you cannot do is receive the CA payment in full AND ESA or IS in full together.
    The Carers Premium won't be paid on ESA or IS unless the claimant has claimed Carers Allowance.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Ah, interesting.. So, if I can ask: if I was to claim CA and then IS afterwards, would my CA become the carers premium? That's what I'm hopefully trying to avoid
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    That's what i thought at first but then i read it differently for IS and CA. Now i'm confused.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Let's do this step by step.

First of all do you claim contribution based ESA (ie. you were working for at least two years before your ESA claim and paying NI contributions) or income based ESA or contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up'.

Look at your award letter and tell us how they have worked out your ESA (exact wording please)

You cannot claim contribution based ESA and Carer's Allowance. They are overlapping benefits. You would make a claim for CA and they would write and say you are not entitled to it. BUT this would give you an underlying entitlement to CA and they would add a Carer's Premium to your ESA. (This sounds as if this would not help you)

You can claim income based ESA and CA. The CA amount is deducted from your ESA but a Carer's Premium is added. You would still get your CA separately.

The earnings limit for CA is to do with earnings. Being on ESA (any amount) still may mean you are entitled to CA.

Please answer the questions about the type of ESA you are on and we can explain what your next steps could be.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 12th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    (1) Claiming ESA in the WRAG group if possible
    Has there been an improvement in your condition?

Are you fit to provide 35 hours of care?
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    Let's do this step by step.

First of all do you claim contribution based ESA (ie. you were working for at least two years before your ESA claim and paying NI contributions) or income based ESA or contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up'.

Look at your award letter and tell us how they have worked out your ESA (exact wording please)

You cannot claim contribution based ESA and Carer's Allowance. They are overlapping benefits. You would make a claim for CA and they would write and say you are not entitled to it. BUT this would give you an underlying entitlement to CA and they would add a Carer's Premium to your ESA. (This sounds as if this would not help you)

You can claim income based ESA and CA. The CA amount is deducted from your ESA but a Carer's Premium is added. You would still get your CA separately.

The earnings limit for CA is to do with earnings. Being on ESA (any amount) still may mean you are entitled to CA.

Please answer the questions about the type of ESA you are on and we can explain what your next steps could be.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    My ESA is income based. How they worked out the money according to the letter:

"Your living expenses... £73.10
    Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee... £15.75
    Extra money because you are in the support group... £36.20"
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    Has there been an improvement in your condition?

Are you fit to provide 35 hours of care?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    No, and yes. I'm not familiar with what the WRAG group entails, but I was thinking if it was viable to be claimed alongside CA, then it might be an option I could look into. Hence the 'if possible.'
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    My ESA is income based. How they worked out the money according to the letter:

"Your living expenses... £73.10
    Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee... £15.75
    Extra money because you are in the support group... £36.20"
    In that case as long as you meet the criteria for claiming CA then you can claim it with your income based ESA.

As I said they will count the CA as income for your ESA and deduct it but add on a Carer's Premium. You will get the CA as a separate payment.

You will be better off by about £30 a week all told.

The only extra thing I would say is to be sure that the reason you were put into the the support group of ESA doesn't contradict with your ability to care for someone.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Are you certain that receiving CA exempts you from the income threshold for bringing your husband to the UK?

Not my area of expertise but would this apply to your circumstances/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-spouse-or-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/

Edit

So have checked with gov.uk and they do include Carer's Allowance!

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 12-10-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • D.va
    • By D.va 12th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    D.va
    In that case as long as you meet the criteria for claiming CA then you can claim it with your income based ESA.

As I said they will count the CA as income for your ESA and deduct it but add on a Carer's Premium. You will get the CA as a separate payment.

You will be better off by about £30 a week all told.

The only extra thing I would say is to be sure that the reason you were put into the the support group of ESA doesn't contradict with your ability to care for someone.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    By any chance, do you know how the CA will appear on my bank statement? If I get Carers Premium will it say "Carers Premium" somewhere? And if I got full CA, would it say Carers Allowance? That would be helpful if you happen to know, since I need to send off my statements as part of the visa application.

I don't think I meet the CA criteria right now, since I earn too much to be eligible. You can't earn more than £116 pw; I earn about £125 pw. Your last point shouldn't be a problem. My main disabilities involve leaving the house. I live with my mom so I don't have to go out to care for her.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 12th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 12,205 Posts
    • 18,118 Thanks
    nannytone
    you don't 'earn' anything.
    you receive income related benefits.
    it isn't earnings unles it is paid income through work
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Please apply for Carer's Allowance.

Based on what you have said you qualify.

The Carer's Premium is paid as part of your ESA so it will not appear on your bank statement as something separate.

Carer's Allowance will be shown on your bank statement - not sure how it is worded (someone?)

In any case you will receive a letter about your CA which will be your evidence that you are receiving it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,044Posts Today

10,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin