Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 12th Oct 17, 1:08 AM
    • 248Posts
    • 330Thanks
    longleggedhair
    Contribution based ESA & Partner
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:08 AM
    Contribution based ESA & Partner 12th Oct 17 at 1:08 AM
    Just a quick question, which I have found impossible to find the answer to online! I'm currently looking into claiming cont based ESA. I won't qualify for income based due to savings levels.

I have a partner who lives with me & works p/t and on low income. Am I entitled to claim cont based ESA (I have the 2 years NI contributions), will my claim be affected?
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    Income and savings don’t count for contributions based benefits. You can claim so long as you have the ni contributions.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 12th Oct 17, 11:31 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:31 AM
    Thanks Shel, my question was more around does having a working partner affect my eligibility?
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 12th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 16,986 Posts
    • 25,974 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Thanks Shel, my question was more around does having a working partner affect my eligibility?
    Originally posted by longleggedhair
    No a working partner doesn't affect eligibility for contributions based ESA. However unless in the support group it will only be for one year at which point household income is taken into consideration for income based ESA.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 12th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:47 PM
    No a working partner doesn't affect eligibility for contributions based ESA. However unless in the support group it will only be for one year at which point household income is taken into consideration for income based ESA.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Thanks Torry, I've done the online assessment, and according to that I should qualify for the support group, but as we know things don't always go the way they should!

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I was 100% above board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin