Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • richyje123
    • By richyje123 12th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    richyje123
    Selling shares
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    Selling shares 12th Oct 17 at 12:52 AM
    Hi,

I have approx £60k in shares in the following companies...

IAG
    Santander
    Whitbread
    Diageo
    Lloyds

They are with the original Broker (e.g. IAG - Computershare). I have been looking at the dealing costs for selling them with their current brokers which is much higher than the likes of Hargreaves Lansdown which charge approx £12 per trade.

As an example Computer Share charge 1% and £20 for online dealing. The IAG shares at current value are approx £26,000, so I am working this out to be £260 + £20 = £280. This compared to H&L of £12.95 is quite a difference...

In order to sell them with Hargreaves Lansdown I believe I would have to transfer the shares over to them to be held in a fund and share account.

I am wondering if it is safe for me to transfer the shares like that. Would I still be the owner of these shares, is it safe to move them over and possibly leave them for a while until I sell ? Also if anyone has any suggestions on who to use to hold and sell the shares (when the time is right) please let me know.

Thanks,

Richard
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Oct 17, 2:00 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:00 AM
    It is safe to transfer shares in that way.

If you transfered your shares to Halifax for example you could then take advantage of the once a month offer to trade for £3.95
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 10,538 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    Or transfer to iWeb, £25 opening fee but £5 to sell immediately. Still far cheaper than the current option, I guess it depends if you want to know the price you sell at and choose date/time to sell
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,672Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin