Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KF1500
    • By KF1500 11th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KF1500
    Can a second charge be for a percentage of the property?
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    Can a second charge be for a percentage of the property? 11th Oct 17 at 11:26 PM
    We're buying a holiday flat with 3 family members. The mortgage needs to be in my husband and my names as we are the higher earners but the five of us will each put in 20% of the deposit and ongoing mortgage repayments. We wish to properly document and secure the other family members' rights in the property. The mortgage lender won't accept a declaration of trust setting out this arrangement but has said it would accept a second charge on the property. Is it possible for the second charge to be for a percentage of the value of the property or must it only be for the set amount that is given (e.g. for the deposit)? Or does anyone know of a better way to do this, either before or after completion? All help gratefully received as it's proving really tricky to get proper information, even from their solicitor!
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Oct 17, 5:08 AM
    • 29,996 Posts
    • 17,928 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:08 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:08 AM
    You can't have 5 legal owners that would have to be a trust.

Not sure a lender can stop you having trust deed describing the beneficial ownership.

Who are they suggesting puts on the second charge?

I would probably go with the second charge for the 3 extra deposits and do a trust deed anyway.

The charge stops the legal owners selling without the third party getting involved, the trust deed the beneficial interests.

The trust deed needs to cover the can't pay, won't pay, overpayment,and things that trigger a sale.

As a holiday home you probably want to add additional terms covering costs etc.
    • KF1500
    • By KF1500 12th Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KF1500
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:28 AM
    Thank you, that's very helpful.

My husband and I will be the 2 legal owners. So it sounds the best thing is to do a 2nd charge to cover the deposit money from the other 3 and then draw up a trust to cover ongoing monies in. With the trust, is that something you can bequeath? My dad (one of the family members) will be contributing a fair amount of his monthly money and so wishes that he is able to leave his beneficial interest in his will to grandchildren. Previously we were advised to do a declaration of trust but he would only then get his money if my husband or I predecessed him. Sorry for the further questions! Thanks again.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 7,385 Posts
    • 7,919 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    I have a second charge for 50% of a property rather than an absolute value, so i dont see why not.
    • KF1500
    • By KF1500 12th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KF1500
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    That's really helpful, thank you! My parents' solicitor told them it wasn't possible to have it for a percentage and that you had to have a set amount.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,239Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin