Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 11th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Microhead
    Capped price tariff bill increased
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    Capped price tariff bill increased 11th Oct 17 at 11:12 PM
    Hi all

I have a capped fixed price tariff for both gas and electric until Mar 2018. Just looked at my dd for this month and found that my bill has increased by £2.30per month. How is this possible considering the terms of the tariff state that my payment may fall but will never rise?
Page 1
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 11th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    With British gas
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Oct 17, 2:33 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:33 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:33 AM
    Your tariff will be unchanged but BG must think you are underpaying for what you will use and upped your DD. I think they have to tell you in advance that is what they intend to do, so maybe you missed it or maybe they did not bother to tell you.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 12th Oct 17, 2:52 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:52 AM
    Your actual usage has increased, or their estimates of what you are going to use have increased. So if your dd covers an usage of say 250kWh a month, but you are using (or they are estimating you are using) 260 kWh a month, your dd will be increased to cover this. Your unit rate has not changed, just your usage.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 1,547 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    Hi all

I have a capped fixed price tariff for both gas and electric until Mar 2018. Just looked at my dd for this month and found that my bill has increased by £2.30per month. How is this possible considering the terms of the tariff state that my payment may fall but will never rise?
    Originally posted by Microhead
    Presumably you are using more than you originally anticipated, or the supplier thinks you are going to.

However, if you disagree, there is a useful MSE article to challenge unfair direct debit payments
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits

It does sound strange that the supplier has altered your monthly payment by such a small amount.
    However, it should not have come as any surprise, as the supplier is obligated to provide you advance notice of any change to the amounts collected.
    If they didn't, contact your bank for a full and immediate refund, and make a complaint to the supplier in line with their complaint procedure.

Good luck!
    • Microhead
    • By Microhead 12th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Microhead
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    Hi thanks for your comments.
    We haven't been notified in advance, of any increase at all.

Wouldn't it be better to contact British Gas directly, rather than going to my bank?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:39 AM
    Hi thanks for your comments.
    We haven't been notified in advance, of any increase at all.

Wouldn't it be better to contact British Gas directly, rather than going to my bank?
    Originally posted by Microhead
    Are you sure you haven't been notified. If you have an online account then it might be written on your last statement or bill.

Most suppliers dont write a special letter or e-mail, they include the info, either on line or on a bill so it's easy to miss if you dont check your bills or account.

Theres a lot of info included on bills as well as how much you've used and how much you owe so it's worth reading it properly now and again just to see if there are any notifications.

Your bill and your direct debit are two entirely things. The direct debit is a payment on account and is set based on a guess of how much energy you'll use over a year divided by 12 so it evens out the payments.

Your bill will tell you how much energy you've actually used multiplied by the tariff (cost per kwh plus standing charge) and will vary month on month (or quarter on quarter). Your tariff wont change but the amount of energy that you use does. As you usually use a lot less in the summer than in the winter then your bill will vary accordingly.

Your bill will show if you are in credit (ie you've used less energy than your your DD payments to date) or in debit (ie you've used more energy than your DD's have paid for).

At this time of year you should be in credit by the equivalent of about two payments so your account should balance out by the end of March when your fix ends. If you aren't then some suppliers will up your DD so you dont end up with arrears at the end of the fix.

Check your bills and learn to understand the info that they are giving you.
    Last edited by matelodave; 12-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

939Posts Today

5,676Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin