Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 11th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Czogorik2
    Where to buy a house Leeds or York?
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    Where to buy a house Leeds or York? 11th Oct 17 at 10:43 PM
    Hello,we are planning to relocate to York,Leeds area and we overwhelmed by choices, don't even know where to start looking.Our budget is k210-230,we would like 3bed detached/semi-detached with reasonable size garden.We have one year old and 2,5 y old schools are very important, would like to live somewhere family friendly with nice high Street (few caffes, decent grocery shop, restaurant) and plenty of green spaces.My husband will work in York city centre but in the future there might be job opportunity in Leeds and looking for a house with good road connections to both,he doesn't mind to comute up to 45 min one way or take a train. I don't drive yet so train station nerby is a must.Would appreciate any suggestions as we are in London and its quite a journey with little ones to organise an viewing, really want to narrow down search area.From what we found out north is nicer than south but more expensive also commuting from north can be a nightmare,we really like Harrogate but seems our budget is too small.
    Thank you for any advices.
Page 2
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 12th Oct 17, 8:23 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    I'm sorry. From either of the Poppletons, it would by the A59 into York, and the A59 into Leeds.

Haxby, as some people have suggested, is a very bad idea if you want to get to Leeds as that would involve the A1237.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    I wouldn't go from Pop to Leeds on the A59, that's the Harrogate road. The A1237 is the York ring road and most people take that down to the A64 and then along that to Leeds.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 12th Oct 17, 8:26 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Thank you, second one looks promising.Could you please tell me how is Huntington , Hamilton dr east and Fulford area like.There are some listing above our £230 budget,but we might be able to strech bit more or have lower offer accepted.Also we don't mind something in need of work ( cheaper)as we will have extra income from rental in London, but we really want it to be in nice location.We don't need to be very close to the station, husband workplace is in city centre,its more for trips around to discover nice places,or perhaps in few years he is going to work in Leeds,so would be nice to have alternative to driving.
    Originally posted by Czogorik2
    Huntington, Fulford and Hamilton Drive are all good places to live. Fulford has more students as it's close to the university. Fulford or Hamilton Drive area would be easier for a future commute to Leeds. Huntington would put you the wrong side of the city centre.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Oct 17, 10:49 PM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    kinger101
    I wouldn't go from Pop to Leeds on the A59, that's the Harrogate road. The A1237 is the York ring road and most people take that down to the A64 and then along that to Leeds.
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    My bad. You're right. I was picturing travelling from Acomb. But the A1237 linking Poppleton to the A64 isn't a bottleneck. It's the nortnern part linking Clifton Moor, the A19 and Monk's Cross in that's horrendous. For that reason, a commute from Haxby to Leeds is not a good idea.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    kinger101
    Huntington, Fulford and Hamilton Drive are all good places to live. Fulford has more students as it's close to the university. Fulford or Hamilton Drive area would be easier for a future commute to Leeds. Huntington would put you the wrong side of the city centre.
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    IMO the only parts of Fulford in that price range are too close to the A64 (noise).

OP - if I were you I'd rent in York for six months and figure out the lay of the land. Unless you've been there, it's difficult to envisage the differences between the right and wrong bits of Acomb and Clifton, or the subtle differences a few hundred metres can make in Tang Hall/Layerthorpe/Osbaldwick/Heworth.
    Last edited by kinger101; 12-10-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin