PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to buy a house Leeds or York?

Comments

• Thank you, what is traffic Poppleton-Leeds like in rush hour,if you have any experience?
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You'll probably crawl round the A1237 and then again into Leeds. Upper Poppleton will be out of your budget, Nether Poppleton is a bit of an "estate in the middle of nowhere" and you'll be reliant on going into York for anything by bus.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 10:20AM
    I'm from York. If you want to be near the station then Holgate, Acomb, Clifton are all very close.

This bit of Holgate is nice. These 2 streets are close to each other.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50615013.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49646307.html
    10/15 min walk to station. 20/25 into city centre. It's about 15 min walk to Acomb where there are a few shops etc. I loved living in Holgate, close enough to walk into town for a meal but not so close that your street feels really busy.

Driving to Leeds depends on what time you set off. My partner would leave around 7:30am and traffic for him was fine most mornings.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Czogorik2 wrote: »
    Thank you, Garforth is on our shortlist, does it make a difference where in Garforth?Any particular nice areas/streets.Anywhere to avoid?

The estate around East Garforth train station is lovely, anywhere on or off Green Lane or Fairburn Drive. Plus the houses going the other way towards the Tesco (Ninelands Land, Bar Lane). Most of Garforth is nice to be fair, I would just avoid the Oaks area (Oak Road, Oak Drive, Oak Crescent, etc) as it isn't as nice as the rest.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Thank you, second one looks promising.Could you please tell me how is Huntington , Hamilton dr east and Fulford area like.There are some listing above our £230 budget,but we might be able to strech bit more or have lower offer accepted.Also we don't mind something in need of work ( cheaper)as we will have extra income from rental in London, but we really want it to be in nice location.We don't need to be very close to the station, husband workplace is in city centre,its more for trips around to discover nice places,or perhaps in few years he is going to work in Leeds,so would be nice to have alternative to driving.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The one aspect of moving away from London, to even the urban areas of West Yorkshire, which many don’t appreciate is how poor public transport is in some areas.

As a result roads are almost as congested as the south east, but there are no viable alternatives. Commuting between Leeds and York by car is a headache. Trains are generally very busy at rush hour as its the main line to Manchester from Newcastle and also serves Manchester Airport.

York is quite well served with a park and ride system. Leeds is slowly developing its network, but even then the buses don’t run to very late in the evening.

Also be aware that most of the new housing developments in Leeds will be around the areas you are looking due to availability of land. These will be very large extensions to existing towns and villages.

If you intend on staying a few years you could quickly see thousands of homes being developed around you so do some homework on Leeds future housing sites.
  • Harrogate would be my choice. The saying in those parts when someone asks what the posh area of Leeds is, the response is Harrogate.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    You'll probably crawl round the A1237 and then again into Leeds. Upper Poppleton will be out of your budget, Nether Poppleton is a bit of an "estate in the middle of nowhere" and you'll be reliant on going into York for anything by bus.

I'm sorry. From either of the Poppletons, it would by the A59 into York, and the A59 into Leeds.

Haxby, as some people have suggested, is a very bad idea if you want to get to Leeds as that would involve the A1237.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • bobmoss
    bobmoss Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd agree with NatBag about Garforth, I grew up there and it's a nice place with good connections to both Leeds and York. It also has some good schools and lots of facilities.

I'll admit I do have a vested interest as I'm currently selling my Mum's house there, it's in your budget and in a nice quiet cul-de-sac. Not sure if it's frowned upon to advertise your own house for sale on here so I won't put a link to it, but if you search LS25 2HY on rightmove you will see it and other nearby properties.
    Bob.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    kinger101 wrote: »
    I'm sorry. From either of the Poppletons, it would by the A59 into York, and the A59 into Leeds.

Haxby, as some people have suggested, is a very bad idea if you want to get to Leeds as that would involve the A1237.

I wouldn't go from Pop to Leeds on the A59, that's the Harrogate road. The A1237 is the York ring road and most people take that down to the A64 and then along that to Leeds.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport