Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 11th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Czogorik2
    Where to buy a house Leeds or York?
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    Where to buy a house Leeds or York? 11th Oct 17 at 10:43 PM
    Hello,we are planning to relocate to York,Leeds area and we overwhelmed by choices, don't even know where to start looking.Our budget is k210-230,we would like 3bed detached/semi-detached with reasonable size garden.We have one year old and 2,5 y old schools are very important, would like to live somewhere family friendly with nice high Street (few caffes, decent grocery shop, restaurant) and plenty of green spaces.My husband will work in York city centre but in the future there might be job opportunity in Leeds and looking for a house with good road connections to both,he doesn't mind to comute up to 45 min one way or take a train. I don't drive yet so train station nerby is a must.Would appreciate any suggestions as we are in London and its quite a journey with little ones to organise an viewing, really want to narrow down search area.From what we found out north is nicer than south but more expensive also commuting from north can be a nightmare,we really like Harrogate but seems our budget is too small.
    Thank you for any advices.
Page 1
    • eghamhigh
    • By eghamhigh 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eghamhigh
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    Watch out for student areas in York
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    Unfortunately some areas in York are now buy to let properties and filled with students. This makes them very noisy at night when you want to sleep. Not sure about Leeds, the same problem mat exist there
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 8,758 Posts
    • 54,354 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    Try the villages - Poppleton - Upper & Nether
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 8,758 Posts
    • 54,354 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    Haxby & Wigginton are nice too.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 11th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    £230K puts most of York out of your price range. Acomb (particular NE of the A59), Holgate, some of Clifton might be within range, but avoid Foxwood and Tang Hall. A little outside of York the money will go further....for example, Pockington, Wilberfoss, Ricall, Cawood but the first two are to the east of York and the last three are only villages. Tadcaster might be an option too. If you're looking in Leeds, Crossgates would be within budget, and has a station with connections to Leeds and York. It's a bit rough around the edges, but the transport connections are a plus, and it's next to Manston Park.

Personally, on that budget, I'd be trying for the parts of York I've mentioned. Walking distance to the centre, and plenty of green space by the river in Clifton.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 11th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:22 PM
    Garforth has two train stations that connect easily to Leeds and York, as well as by road. It's a nice area with lots of green space around, good pubs and high street with nice restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. It's a nice quiet, family area. You should get a house of that size within budget too.
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    You'll struggle in York on that budget as already said unless you go for an ex LA property. Surrounding areas such as Selby are much cheaper and Leeds is generally cheaper. In terms of ex LA areas in York Tang Hall is full of students, Clifton (area around Kingsway North) and the Bell Farm estate I personally wouldn't live in. Dringhouses (Chaloners Road area) I would and you'll have good access by road to get to Leeds. A significant proportion of the estate at Dringhouses is now owner occupied. Haxby and Strensall are nice villages on the outskirts, Haxby having good links into town and is a really well serviced village in terms of amenities. There is a decent bus service to Leeds that is much cheaper than the train, it's called zap and run by transdev. Also worth looking at Burnhome and Osbaldwick, we have our 3 bed semi in Burnholme sold SSTC at £250k but there are others a bit cheaper. Leeds is a fantastic city if you like big city life, York is quaint and more my cup of tea. Hope this helps. Tadcaster is a nice market town sitting between Leeds and York and is cheaper than York. Beware of flooding in either York, Selby or Tad. It is frequent and can be devastating.I often see "bargains" on Rightmove which on closer inspection are too close for comfort to the Ouse or Wharfe. Hope this helps.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Czogorik2
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    Could you tell us bit more about Clifton,on few websites/forumes people mentioned it as place to avoid in York.Is that because it's estate (don't know, trying to figure out)?If it varies, which areas of Clinton are nicer?
    Thank you
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 12th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Czogorik2
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    You'll struggle in York on that budget as already said unless you go for an ex LA property. Surrounding areas such as Selby are much cheaper and Leeds is generally cheaper. In terms of ex LA areas in York Tang Hall is full of students, Clifton (area around Kingsway North) and the Bell Farm estate I personally wouldn't live in. Dringhouses (Chaloners Road area) I would and you'll have good access by road to get to Leeds. A significant proportion of the estate at Dringhouses is now owner occupied. Haxby and Strensall are nice villages on the outskirts, Haxby having good links into town and is a really well serviced village in terms of amenities. There is a decent bus service to Leeds that is much cheaper than the train, it's called zap and run by transdev. Also worth looking at Burnhome and Osbaldwick, we have our 3 bed semi in Burnholme sold SSTC at £250k but there are others a bit cheaper. Leeds is a fantastic city if you like big city life, York is quaint and more my cup of tea. Hope this helps. Tadcaster is a nice market town sitting between Leeds and York and is cheaper than York. Beware of flooding in either York, Selby or Tad. It is frequent and can be devastating.I often see "bargains" on Rightmove which on closer inspection are too close for comfort to the Ouse or Wharfe. Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    Thank you for all the information,we feel as we would enjoy York more, and traveling to Leeds few times a month for some events or just to explore new place won't be a problem. Currently it takes us over hour one way to get to work within London
    As far as i know there is no train station in Tadcaster,do you happen to know how long does it take to get to either Leeds and York on the bus and if they are running frequently?I have bad experiences with buses, here they are very overcrowded and very often there is no spece for the pushchair.You have to wait for next and next can be exactly the same.
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 12th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Czogorik2
    Thank you, Garforth is on our shortlist, does it make a difference where in Garforth?Any particular nice areas/streets.Anywhere to avoid?
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    The info on the zap bus service is here http://www.cityzap.co.uk/
    the coastliner service is here http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/times and runs through Tadcaster. They introduced the zap to avoid the longer journey times on the coastliner.All the transdev bus services generally run to time (unlike many of the first bus services in York!).
    There are nice parts of Clifton but they will be outside of your budget. To get a decent 3 bed semi with a garden in the decent bits of Clifton/Rawcliffe you'd need to up your budget to £250k plus. There is a new estate going up at Clifton on Water Lane where help to buy is available I think which may help you if you wanted to go down that route. It is right opposite the travellers site which will put some folk off. Options between the two with train links are Ulleskelf, South Millford and Church Fenton. There are a lot of new builds at Church Fenton and more going up. The trains between York and Leeds on a morning are crazy busy in the rush hour. You will get on but may not get a seat (which if you're commuting to London by train you are no doubt familiar with! If you want a well served village community as you describe in your OP I would have a good look at Haxby. The buses are every 15 mins into town. It's the First Bus Service 1 https://www.firstgroup.com/york/plan-journey/timetables/?operator=29&page=1&redirect=no
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 12th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Czogorik2
    Thank you, what is traffic Poppleton-Leeds like in rush hour,if you have any experience?
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 12th Oct 17, 9:02 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    You'll probably crawl round the A1237 and then again into Leeds. Upper Poppleton will be out of your budget, Nether Poppleton is a bit of an "estate in the middle of nowhere" and you'll be reliant on going into York for anything by bus.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    I'm from York. If you want to be near the station then Holgate, Acomb, Clifton are all very close.

This bit of Holgate is nice. These 2 streets are close to each other.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50615013.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49646307.html
    10/15 min walk to station. 20/25 into city centre. It's about 15 min walk to Acomb where there are a few shops etc. I loved living in Holgate, close enough to walk into town for a meal but not so close that your street feels really busy.

Driving to Leeds depends on what time you set off. My partner would leave around 7:30am and traffic for him was fine most mornings.
    Last edited by WibblyGirly; 12-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 12th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Thank you, Garforth is on our shortlist, does it make a difference where in Garforth?Any particular nice areas/streets.Anywhere to avoid?
    Originally posted by Czogorik2
    The estate around East Garforth train station is lovely, anywhere on or off Green Lane or Fairburn Drive. Plus the houses going the other way towards the Tesco (Ninelands Land, Bar Lane). Most of Garforth is nice to be fair, I would just avoid the Oaks area (Oak Road, Oak Drive, Oak Crescent, etc) as it isn't as nice as the rest.
    • Czogorik2
    • By Czogorik2 12th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Czogorik2
    Thank you, second one looks promising.Could you please tell me how is Huntington , Hamilton dr east and Fulford area like.There are some listing above our £230 budget,but we might be able to strech bit more or have lower offer accepted.Also we don't mind something in need of work ( cheaper)as we will have extra income from rental in London, but we really want it to be in nice location.We don't need to be very close to the station, husband workplace is in city centre,its more for trips around to discover nice places,or perhaps in few years he is going to work in Leeds,so would be nice to have alternative to driving.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 7,201 Posts
    • 5,604 Thanks
    daveyjp
    The one aspect of moving away from London, to even the urban areas of West Yorkshire, which many don’t appreciate is how poor public transport is in some areas.

As a result roads are almost as congested as the south east, but there are no viable alternatives. Commuting between Leeds and York by car is a headache. Trains are generally very busy at rush hour as its the main line to Manchester from Newcastle and also serves Manchester Airport.

York is quite well served with a park and ride system. Leeds is slowly developing its network, but even then the buses don’t run to very late in the evening.

Also be aware that most of the new housing developments in Leeds will be around the areas you are looking due to availability of land. These will be very large extensions to existing towns and villages.

If you intend on staying a few years you could quickly see thousands of homes being developed around you so do some homework on Leeds future housing sites.
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 12th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    Harrogate would be my choice. The saying in those parts when someone asks what the posh area of Leeds is, the response is Harrogate.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 12th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    kinger101
    You'll probably crawl round the A1237 and then again into Leeds. Upper Poppleton will be out of your budget, Nether Poppleton is a bit of an "estate in the middle of nowhere" and you'll be reliant on going into York for anything by bus.
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    I'm sorry. From either of the Poppletons, it would by the A59 into York, and the A59 into Leeds.

Haxby, as some people have suggested, is a very bad idea if you want to get to Leeds as that would involve the A1237.
    • bobmoss
    • By bobmoss 12th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    bobmoss
    I'd agree with NatBag about Garforth, I grew up there and it's a nice place with good connections to both Leeds and York. It also has some good schools and lots of facilities.

I'll admit I do have a vested interest as I'm currently selling my Mum's house there, it's in your budget and in a nice quiet cul-de-sac. Not sure if it's frowned upon to advertise your own house for sale on here so I won't put a link to it, but if you search LS25 2HY on rightmove you will see it and other nearby properties.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter