Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jtetsuto
    • By jtetsuto 11th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jtetsuto
    Best credit card for no history
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    Best credit card for no history 11th Oct 17 at 10:39 PM
    Iíve seen plenty of posts suggesting Aqua, Marbles, Capital One, Tesco Foundation etc. but I am unsure of which one is the outright best. Iíve checked with the moneysupermarket checker. It suggests a Vanquis Origin card has a 9/10 approval, Chrome/Aquis and Tesco at 6/10 and 5/10 respectively.

Iíve also noticed that Capital One, Aqua and Vanquis have a variety of credit cards which has made my final decision even harder.

Iíd like to know if there are common problems with any of these companies, how often the companies increase the credit limit (if paying on time each month) or any other advice which would be great
Page 1
    • David555
    • By David555 13th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    David555
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    I have a Aqua card I've held for 10 months and a capital one card for 6 months.

While both are great (as far as credit building cards go) I would highly recommend Aqua card if you can get it. My limit started at £250 which was increased to £900 after 4 months and has just been increased to £2100 after a further 4 months. I also received a letter yesterday offering me a balance transfer at 4.9% for 6 months for a 3% transfer fee which was surprisingly low I thought for the type of card it is! Not sure I'll use it as I hate the feeling of owing money, especially for 6 months to make it worth while!

Capital one again I've had no issues with. They recently increased my limit from £300 to £550 after holding the card for 6 months. I believe they only give increases up to once every 6 months though and the increases so far are much smaller than what Aqua have given me.

I clear the balances in full due to the high interest rates on the credit building cards. I also held a halifax card for 8 months which is mostly cleared in full except once or twice at a more reasonable 18% ish
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 13th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    Id suggest the aqua to build up then year later move on to another
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter