Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Irving7
    • By Irving7 11th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Irving7
    Do I need to commit to a Kwik-Fit repair?
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    Do I need to commit to a Kwik-Fit repair? 11th Oct 17 at 10:36 PM
    Several days ago my car started to give up on me - the power reduced significantly whilst I was driving and was forced to pull in to a car park.
    I called my breakdown service provider who came out to have a look at it but nothing was coming up on his diagnostic machine, nor could he see any obvious faults under the bonnet.

Fortunately, my car was already booked in for a full service the next day (yesterday) and I was able to drive my car over there as it was nearby.
    The breakdown service chap followed me over and advised me to explain that the power issue only occurs after the engine has been running for 15+ mins, and not to pay for any diagnostics to be carried out because he could not see any errors on his device.

So yesterday, I had my car serviced at Kwik-Fit and they came back with a bucket list of repairs that would cost me approximately the value of my car. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go ahead with all of the repairs but I did want an idea of what it would cost to resolve the issue I was having with the power.
    They think it's the EGR valve but would need to run a diagnostic to confirm. I told them it has been done already by the breakdown service and no errors were reported. Kwik-Fit responded by saying if there are no errors that come up on their diagnostics I won't need to pay the £50 that they charge for it.

Skip forward to today (they weren't able to run the diagnostic last night) and I am told by a different person that there are 7+ errors reported on their diagnostics and it could be a number of things that's causing a loss of power, but the most likely cause would be the EGR valve.
    They asked if I wanted to go ahead and have it replaced for £300 (£200 for the part and £100 for the labour), and if I did, it would take 2 days for the part to arrive. I accepted because I didn't know if the price was reasonable at the time.
    However, upon further inspection I noticed from the notes I wrote down yesterday his colleague quoted me a cheaper price (£40 cheaper) for the exact same job, and that I could also buy the part and do it myself for half the price.

Therefore, my question is:

With Kwik-Fit having ordered the part but yet to do any work due to waiting for delivery, am I obliged to now proceed with the repair?
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 11th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    Have they still got your car?
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    I can't see that you would have to pay for the egr as they haven't done any work yet, but you would reasonably have to pay the £50 for the diagnostic if you don't go ahead with the repair.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 12th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    If your happy to take the egr off yourself why not try giving it a clean with a specific spray can? Could save you some more money, if it doesn't work replace the valve. Unlikely a garage would do this as their labour charges would cancel out any saving.

As for Kwik fit you are under no obligation to have any more work done on your car but will have to pay for anything they have done already.
    • Irving7
    • By Irving7 12th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Irving7
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    If your happy to take the egr off yourself why not try giving it a clean with a specific spray can? Could save you some more money, if it doesn't work replace the valve. Unlikely a garage would do this as their labour charges would cancel out any saving.

As for Kwik fit you are under no obligation to have any more work done on your car but will have to pay for anything they have done already.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    That was another thing I discovered after my visit to Kwik-Fit yesterday. It could just need a clean and I'll be saving myself a small fortune.

I'll phone them up now to cancel the work.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 12th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    Cool. I've had varying success cleaning different parts that if taken to a garage would be replaced but it's worth a shot.

Remember to replace any gaskets if there are any.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 12th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    They may have already taken yours off, in which case you’ll have to have the car recovered or pay for it to be re fitted.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 12th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    And of course you’ll need to pay for their diagnostics too
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 12th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 5,640 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    "Quick Fit"

if I broke down outside one of their establishments I would push my car to a garage.
    Last edited by ariba10; 12-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Oct 17, 10:44 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 13,372 Thanks
    worried jim
    And please don't use Kwik Fitt again in future. Find a good local garage, good place to start is to ask where the taxi drivers have their cars serviced.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I doubt the capability of anyone who takes their car to Kwik Fit to remove and clean one especially if its a sod to get to like my Mondeo where you can't even see most of the bolts holding it in.

In regards to buying your own parts, one of the banes of life for garages is customers supplying their own parts which inevitably end up being wrong and the customer getting shirty because they quite rightly get billed for the labour for attempting to fit the wrong part then for fitting the right one so effectively paying twice. My MX5 for example has two different length drop links depending on the chassis number but you can bet your bottom dollar Average Joe supplying their own wouldn't even have a clue that was the case and buy the wrong ones. Similar story for lots of vehicles for various parts where there has been a change over at a certain point.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 12-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    • Irving7
    • By Irving7 12th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Irving7
    My local branch used to be good but they've changed management and all new mechanics working there now - a lot has changed since last year.

I always thought there would be tighter controls at Kwik-Fit, being a national company and being in the spotlight. I will be looking at local independents on my next service, however, finding one to trust may prove a challenge in itself.

I'm doing a lot of reading on engine components and the only way I'm going to better familiarise myself with the EGR valve is by having a crack at removing it.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 12th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    *Insert horror story of incompetence and sharp practice here*

Because Kwik-Fit, innit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin