Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnnyZee
    • By JohnnyZee 11th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JohnnyZee
    Right level of compensation / building works?
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:30 PM
    Right level of compensation / building works? 11th Oct 17 at 9:30 PM
    Hi guys,

I own a leasehold flat in a fairly new built property (built five years ago) in London. The freeholder is a housing association. Now, post-Grenfell, the HA has realised that some of the cladding in the building (on the top floors) needs to be replaced. They want to start immediate works. There will be scaffolding on the back and the front of the property. Unfortunately, I live on the ground floor with gardens/patios on either side of flat, and the scaffolding will need to be grounded on both my gardens/patios (gardens/patios are part of my property plan). The workers may need access to my back garden via the inside of my flat if they cannot jump the back wall (they don't want to break it as it may be costly to replace). The workers have already uprooted my front garden (dug up the soil/plants) and placed gravel so the base would be strong / a flat surface.

Clearly, my flat and a couple of others on the ground floor have been severely impacted. The rest of the building (1st floor upwards) are less impacted. I have been promised that my garden/patios will be returned to their original condition once works are over. Works are expected to take 3 months or so.

The freeholder realises that this is a major inconvenience. They have also hinted that I could be compensated. Now my question is: what is the right level of compensation I need to ask for?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Page 1
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    If they return the garden to its original state, and make your building safer, what are you looking for compensation for exactly? Builders coming through your flat? How often will this happen? How much of your time will it take? Will you need to take time off work for it?

Base it on that.
    • JohnnyZee
    • By JohnnyZee 11th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JohnnyZee
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    If they return the garden to its original state, and make your building safer, what are you looking for compensation for exactly? Builders coming through your flat? How often will this happen? How much of your time will it take? Will you need to take time off work for it?

Base it on that.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Thanks. I believe the builders will only need access via the inside of my flat to set up the base, the scaffolding and then to remove everything at the end. Obviously, I understand that the works will make my building safer. However, I seem to be the most affected flat (also acknowledged by HA) on the ground floor as both my outside areas are being utilised. And while these works go on, I will have no access to those areas (gardens, patios). I understand there will also be a lot of noise but I guess that will affect the whole building. Mind you, if I lived on the first floor (or above), I would still get my full property /balcony.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:32 PM
    Your garden will be unavailable during October/November/December/January. Hardly peak garden season.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 36,086 Posts
    • 151,758 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    I would have thought that anyone capable of building a scaffolding tower and using it would be able to position a ladder and use it to scale the back wall.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 11th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    Interesting, this is a new kind of ambulance chasing, can't be a lot of precedent for something like this - I guess if it gets too expensive to replace the cladding because of greed it won't be replaced until legislation forces it, at the moment a lot of HA's are removing it from buildings where it meets the regs but are doing it as precaution
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 12th Oct 17, 1:41 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:41 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:41 AM
    In all fairness you are looking at no more than a token level of compensation for inconvenience as everything is to be reinstated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin