Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 11th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 45Thanks
    wheelz
    Wedding dress
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    Wedding dress 11th Oct 17 at 9:22 PM
    I'm trying to find a wedding dress and have been to two shops. They were very different, the second shop had dresses off the rail/peg. They are half the price and I'm interested in them as I don't want to spend too much on a dress, I am in my early 50-ies. I have been told in the shop that alterations will be between 100 and 200/300 pounds. Does anyone have any first hand experience. I would like to know what to add to the budget for alterations. I appreciate that it depends on how much needs doing.
Page 1
    • musharoom
    • By musharoom 12th Oct 17, 12:13 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    musharoom
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:13 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:13 AM
    I got married recently (end of September) and my dress alterations cost £215 on top of dress price from an independent seamstress.

Some bridal shops include alterations/fittings in the price, mine did not.

Dress was altered around the bust also adding in cups and extra boning, let out at hips, hemmed 1 inch.

Hope that helps!
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 12th Oct 17, 6:53 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wheelz
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:53 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:53 AM
    That helps a lot. I'm not into this at all as some young girls who know years before they are getting married what dress they want. First shop was all in and second shop seems very reasonable and is as you describe. I just wanted to make sure that what I had been told was about right. Thanks very much.
    • Bean83
    • By Bean83 12th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    Bean83
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    I got married at the end of 2014, and paid £150 for an independent seamstress to add cups, add a bustle to hook up the train, and hem an inch or so. Hope this helps!

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    I paid £120 for the dress to be taken in round the bust and a button and hook thing added so the train could be hooked up in the evening. It might be cheaper to find someone independent of the bridal shop but read revised / go on recommendations. If the seamstress messes the dress up it could be a write off depending on the style.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 12-10-2017 at 2:32 PM. Reason: T
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 16,842 Posts
    • 100,581 Thanks
    maman
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    I appreciate that your original post was just to check if the alteration prices are reasonable. It seems they are.

That helps a lot. I'm not into this at all as some young girls who know years before they are getting married what dress they want.
    Originally posted by wheelz

Nor am I, but surely it would be better to shop around for a dress that fits? Particularly as you don't have set ideas of exactly what you want.

There must be heaps of evening/prom type dresses around that could be suitable. Or as this is a mse thread what about ebay?
    • Kaye1
    • By Kaye1 12th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kaye1
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    Is it worth looking into getting one made?

There is a small shop in the next village over from us and she makes wedding dresses and they are far cheaper than buying off the pegs ones and no additional alteration charges!
    • neartowhere
    • By neartowhere 13th Oct 17, 3:39 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    neartowhere
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:39 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 3:39 AM
    I think you will be able to save if you made to order.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 13th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 13,503 Posts
    • 25,681 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    Do you need a "wedding dress"? Why not just choose a standard dress that you like?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 7,056 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    There's no suggestion in OP's post that either shop is selling solid meringue, but a wedding dress shop does tend to focus on the assorted white & fluffy things.

Let us not rush to judge but encourage the brave woman. Weddings are fearsome things to plan & noone's excused the hype & hope.

May you find The Right Dress, wear it with aplomb, grace & joy & continue thus all the days of your life.
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wheelz
    I have considered normal dresses but I don't like shopping very much and wouldn't know where these kind of shops are or what I want and still look enough 'bride'. I have accepted that bridal shops tend to just do the very stereotypical thing, there is not much choice. If you want short you get fifties teadresses as an option they don't suit me. I just want it over it's sooo much work a wedding and stressful. Looking at one around £500 plus alterations. How much would a non-standard wedding dress be? I wouldn't have thought it's much less. I'll just be princess for a day then, not really me but hey. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Oct 17, 8:15 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wheelz
    I think you will be able to save if you made to order.
    Originally posted by neartowhere
    I'm looking at £500 plus alterations. How much would a made to order one be, it must take a long time to make them. I once had silk curtains made with fabric that I got for a good price, that already was a lots of money, but at least the curtains are still in use....
    Last edited by wheelz; 14-10-2017 at 8:52 AM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 14th Oct 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 4,670 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Looking at one around £500 plus alterations. How much would a non-standard wedding dress be? I wouldn't have thought it's much less. I'll just be princess for a day then, not really me but hey. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    Have you looked at the High street shops that do wedding outfits like Monsoon and Phase Eight?
    • wheelz
    • By wheelz 14th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wheelz
    Hi, I didn't know they did. I have just looked at department stores and monsoon online. :-) I am now planning on going to Debenhams and possibly others.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 7,056 Posts
    • 19,095 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Pace yourself.
    Dress shopping, especially one that will shine in photos for decades, is tough going.
    (Having found The One, buy its twin on other colours?!)
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 14th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 4,037 Thanks
    Izadora
    Hi, I didn't know they did. I have just looked at department stores and monsoon online. :-) I am now planning on going to Debenhams and possibly others.
    I got my dress from Debenhams. It was most definitely weddingy, without even a hint of meringue, didn't need any alterations and was under £300.

Good luck with dress hunting.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 47,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I believe Coast do some dresses that might be suitable too. Although you don't like shopping, trick is trying them on. I tried in loads of wedding dresses I thought I liked, didn't like any on enough, the shop persuaded me to try one I didn't like and guess what....bingo! It was the perfect dress...and a bonus was the only alteration as such needed was two loops being added in the back for my bra to put the back straps through (pretty sure I wasn't even charged for that).
    You're the one in the dress for the day so make sure it's what you like and are happy with, not ticking boxes for other people. Best of luck with the wedding.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Kaye1
    • By Kaye1 14th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Kaye1
    Why not go for a dress you can wear again?

We had our bridesmaids dresses made so that they could be worn again- they all had matching bodices but detachable skirts, so they had smart skirts to re-use or wear with a different top.

You don't need to go white- perhaps a pale silk which can be re-used?

Phase 8 have some gorgeous wedding dresses too- a lot less than £500. Good luck!
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 14th Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    Not quite the same thing, but I needed a Mother of the Groom dress and I just hate shopping, and dressing up for that matter. I found an Ann Balon dress on ebay. They retail at around £600/700 pounds new. I got it for under £200 and it is stunning. You could honestly wear it as a wedding dress. Italian lace, mermaid tail and with a matching jacket. They come in the most lovely colours, hang beautifully and never crease. Take a look, you may find something that catches your eye.

Hope your wedding goes wonderfully and you have a very happy marriage.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 15th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    If you are not that into dresses how about a suit? A friend got married last year and she has never been a dress sort of person so she wore a beautiful suit instead, she really did look stunning on the day and was a lot more comfortable and confident than she would have been in a dress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter