Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 11th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rmac84
    Help. Breastfeeding parking fine
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    Help. Breastfeeding parking fine 11th Oct 17 at 8:52 PM
    Hello.
    I'd really appreciate some help. I parked in a Britannia car park. Not realising it was a private car park. I started to feed my crying baby of 3 months. Immediately I tried to pay for parking on my phone, but soon realised it wasn't council. I started Googling the car park to try and pay, but found their website and couldn't see how I could pay. I have since found that I could have done it but it was not clear or easy to see. Anyway as soon as i could I got a ticket. However they sent me a fine.

I first appealed to them directly and stupidly identified myself as the driver. I thought the fine was just for not buying a ticket and so I sent them proof. They rejected appeal.

I emailed them to further appeal explaining all the circumstances. I sent them screenshots of my Internet search history showing me attempting to pay. I also have screenshot of a text I sent to my mother who I was meeting stating that I was breastfeeding in the car. They have replied saying that I must pay, offered a discount, or appeal to Popla.

I feel this is highly unfair. I have read some threads regarding my rights as a breastfeeding mother under the Equality Act 2010. Also, the charge of £60, or £100 as I will miss the cut off tonight and intend to appeal to Popla.

Please can anyone advise or help with drafting my appeal to Popla. Many many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Rmac84; 11-10-2017 at 9:11 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 16,110 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    please edit the above into paragraphs that people can read

you will receive more help that way

thank you

as for your popla appeal, you draft it , then you post the draft on here for critique by other members (that is how it works)

breastfeeding comes under the EA2010 and POPLA wont rule on that issue at all, never have
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 11th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 40,419 Posts
    • 80,737 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    It's a shame you appealed as driver, but it is not fatal.

Have a look at post 3 of the NEWBIES thread where you will find a number of template appeal points for you to modify to suit your case.

Getting pictures of the signs will help as PPCs hardly ever get them right. Use the whle of the long signage point for this.

Grace periods (note the plural) may be a factor here if you bought a ticket within the ones allowed by the BPA CoP. Even if the ticket was bought outside these, the scammers should have allowed more time for a breastfeeding mother as detailed in the EA 2010 you have already mentioned.

It would help if you could give us a time line for the alleged event.
    Arrival time, payment time, leaving time etcetera if you see what I mean.

Post your draft here before you submit it.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 5,108 Posts
    • 168,642 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    Paragraphs are there for a reason!
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 11th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rmac84
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    Thanks for your response fruitcake.

I entered at 13.04, purchased a ticket at 13.30, ticket was valid till 15.30 and I departed at 15.33.
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rmac84
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    Any advice on where to start? I read #3, but it's saying not to bother with GPEOL as it won't win. I should focus on signage etc.

Also, should I dispute it on as many points as possible? I.e. Gpeol, signage, land owner, Equality Act 2010.

Thanks again.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 16,110 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    not gpeol , no

NO LANDOWNER CONTRACT
    POOR AND INADEQUATE SIGNAGE
    any BPA CoP failures
    not the same as BEAVIS

etc

if you add the EA2010 , its your call BUT POPLA WILL IGNORE IT
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 5,372 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    Whos car park was it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 12th Oct 17, 6:33 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rmac84
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:33 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:33 AM
    It was a Britannia Car park.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 12th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 13,660 Thanks
    trisontana
    Originally posted by Rmac84
    Brittania doesn't own car parks. They just run them on behalf of shops and retail parks. So what shop(s) were at this location?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 16,110 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Redx
    Originally posted by Rmac84
    you mean

It was monitored by Britannia Car parks.

the landowner or managing agent is............................ ??

could be a retail park, supermarket , privately owned car park

to be factual, few parking companies OWN car parks and I doubt that Britannia actually own any car parks at all

if you find out the landowner details you can complain to them and ask for mercy
    Newbies !!
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 12th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Just go through the motions. If they don't withdraw, you run the equality act argument in the court proceedings and make sure you keep your good evidence that you were indeed breastfeeding.

Search for other breastfeeding threads. There were two recently - one in which the baby was over 6 months old so the EA didn't apply, and another with a younger baby on which I posted links to a good website about breastfeeding rights which I had found which I thought might want to help. Do a search on the forum to see if you can find it (if you can't you can search my posts but it was a good 2/3 weeks ago). And mumsnet is a good resource for this sort of thing - if you are not a member it's easy to sign up. I can't say that they will advise you well about the pcn, but they may have good advice about the EA aspect.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 14,977 Posts
    • 23,530 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Britannia in all reality don’t ‘do court’.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Britannia_Parking_Group.html

So I’d fire off your EA 2010 breastfeeding complaint (threat) to the retailer that contracted with Britannia (likely the major retailer on site, but it could be a Managing Agent - do your homework!), threatening to sue them under the Act for not providing a ‘reasonable adjustment’ (extra time would be an obvious one for breastfeeding).

Tell them that you will hold them jointly and severally liable for the actions of their agents (Britannia), for which the minimum remedy is damages of £500.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 12th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rmac84
    How can I share photos of the signage for your thoughts? I've uploaded to a site and have link but won't let me post.

The sign on entry states it's Camera Controlled pay on arrival and private land. At the bottom it says Managed by Britannia, so they aren't likely to be the landowner.

The signs at the pay machines have the £100, it is in larger font and in box of white against a dark background.

The car park isn't linked to any shops, it's just on the Quay. Id have to try and find out who owns the land.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    Post the link disguised. Eg hxxp instead of http

Someone will then post it as a live link for you
    • Rmac84
    • By Rmac84 12th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rmac84
    Ttps://imgur.com/a/yha9d
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    KeithP
    https://imgur.com/a/yha9d
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin