Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kat54
    • By kat54 11th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kat54
    How is a phone line installed?
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    How is a phone line installed? 11th Oct 17 at 7:15 PM
    Sorry if this isn't entirely relevant but I recently ordered broadband with EE. I didn't know if I have a phone line installed but I assume I don't since they're sending someone to come on Friday to set one up. The thing is though is that I have no idea if this place has ever had a phone line and I don't know how to tell. I looked everywhere and there is no place a phone would plug in. What should I expect on Friday? I've never done this before and I'm kinda worried about it. I did try to look it up but no one else is in this situation.
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    don't worry, they will know what they are doing.

other things for you to think about are:

1) Where do you want the phone socket / BB router. (requires power socket) and needs to be in a sensible place for them too, so think of a couple of options.

2) research or purchase a phone. Argos sell um
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 7,609 Posts
    • 8,157 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    If you haven't got a phone line then a technician will turn up, run a wire from your house to the nearest pole, then fit you a master phone socket.

For tea and hobnobs you may get a greater say in where they put the master socket and run the wire, the default is within 2 metres of the line coming in to the building through a convenient window frame.

Then they'll go away again, connect things up further up the line, and you'll probably be turned on later that day.

For some types of fibre broadband you need two or even three mains sockets nearby -- for the modem, router/hub, and backup battery.
    Last edited by Owain Moneysaver; 11-10-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter