Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • citykid5
    • By citykid5 11th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 777Posts
    • 352Thanks
    citykid5
    Insurance renewal
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    Insurance renewal 11th Oct 17 at 6:45 PM
    Hi all .
    It's insurance renewal time again for me.
    Could anyone advise, the by fare best quote I've had is from Esure and going through quidco with the cash back would come out at £190 net. Only problem is Esure have a maximum ncd of 5yrs and I have 9yrs ,so when it comes to looking at the market next year I'd be sacrificing 4yrs ncb
    Or am I looking at this wrong?
    Tia
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 10,949 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    Hi all .
    It's insurance renewal time again for me.
    Could anyone advise, the by fare best quote I've had is from Esure and going through quidco with the cash back would come out at £190 net. Only problem is Esure have a maximum ncd of 5yrs and I have 9yrs ,so when it comes to looking at the market next year I'd be sacrificing 4yrs ncb
    Tia
    Originally posted by citykid5
    I have much more than that in NCB with Esure.
    On a slightly different question, when is it no longer worth protecting the NCB.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 25,877 Posts
    • 10,302 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    Simply ask them for the correct number of years.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    check out some of the posts in this thread for how to deal with proof of NCB

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5723259
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    On a slightly different question, when is it no longer worth protecting the NCB.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Once you have more than 5 or 6 years or reached the max of that company because you'll find that with most policies a single shunt in a year only takes you down to around 3 or 4 years NCB, you don't lose the lot. I've never bothered at all because even with protected NCB your insurance if you have a claim is still going to be whacked up the following renewal and the amount I've saved over the last 20 years by not going protected is more than I would save if I'd had a shunt with protected NCB.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 13th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 10,949 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    Once you have more than 5 or 6 years or reached the max of that company because you'll find that with most policies a single shunt in a year only takes you down to around 3 or 4 years NCB, you don't lose the lot. I've never bothered at all because even with protected NCB your insurance if you have a claim is still going to be whacked up the following renewal and the amount I've saved over the last 20 years by not going protected is more than I would save if I'd had a shunt with protected NCB.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Just got my renewal today, I have 20yrs NCB, but like you say it max's at 5yrs (well you get no further discount) , If I claim it would drop 5yrs.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    Tia
    Originally posted by citykid5
    That looks quite cheap to me, you expecting it to go lower?

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 12,913 Posts
    • 17,105 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    That looks quite cheap to me, you expecting it to go lower?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I have a car that costs me less than £100 a year to insure fully comp. £190 looks very expensive to me.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 14th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    I have a car that costs me less than £100 a year to insure fully comp. £190 looks very expensive to me.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Is it the same car, the same post code, the insured the same age ?
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin