Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 11th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    • 259Posts
    • 35Thanks
    roytom
    Windows 8 dual boot with another copy
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    Windows 8 dual boot with another copy 11th Oct 17 at 6:12 PM
    I done dual boots in the past and used free disk partition software first to make the necessary new partition.

Is this still possible using the Recovery USB flash drive created when I first got the laptop?

Ta
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    If the recovery USB was one that was made by software provided by the computer manufacturer, those are not designed to make a dual-boot system.

You don't need it anyway, you can dual-boot yourself with the appropriate Windows CDs to reinstall onto an empty drive. Just install the older operating system first, careful not to use the full size of the drive then install the newer system into the remaining space. The dual-boot then sorts itself out. Simples.
    • roytom
    • By roytom 11th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    Thanks, but I’m not following all this.

I do have a windows 7 disc (cd/dvd and usb flash made from the cd) and I could use that to install it in a spare partition - but once I’ve got Win 7 installed (alongside my existing win 8) how can I upgrade my win 7 to 8 using the win 8 I’ve got? Or is there some other method?

Ta
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    So you want two copies of Windows 8 on the same machine?
    • roytom
    • By roytom 11th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    Yes, I do want two copies of Win 8 on the same laptop.

The reason is that my existing copy is playing up but I cannot risk ditching it without another copy up and running.

Ta again
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 7,579 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    If you're looking for partitioning software, I wouldn't use anything other than GParted. You can burn a live image to CD/USB and boot from that.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Oct 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:10 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:10 AM
    Yes, I do want two copies of Win 8 on the same laptop.

The reason is that my existing copy is playing up but I cannot risk ditching it without another copy up and running.

Ta again
    Originally posted by roytom
    Trying to dual boot with two copies of the same OS will just cause headaches trying to get it to work as dual booting is usually different operating systems so the normal dual boot setup methods won't be so happy.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 7,579 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    Trying to dual boot with two copies of the same OS will just cause headaches trying to get it to work as dual booting is usually different operating systems so the normal dual boot setup methods won't be so happy.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Do what?! Your computer's mood won't be affected by having two installations of an identical OS version installed.

There's nothing headache-inducing either. It's exactly the same straightforward process as dual-booting any other pair of OSes. "The normal dual boot setup method" is exactly the same.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 25,857 Posts
    • 10,292 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    Just be careful restoring your original partition. The recovery process may erase all partitions and reset it back to factory spec.

Much easier to save your files and restore it if you have issues.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • roytom
    • By roytom 13th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    ta again for the input but I've about given up on the multi boot scenario for the time being, as, I've hit an unresolvable snag.

I created a new empty partition (using Paragon Partition Manager™ 14 Free) by trimming one of the other partitions. Then when I try to install either Win 7 or 10 into it I get the message :-

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

This applies to all partitions on the hard disk. This appears to be a well known problem. There's suggestion of fiddling with BIOS settings (doesn't work) or messing with DISKPART (using the CLEAN function) which is lethal if there is anything on the disk you need to keep - which I do.

I wonder if Ubuntu would install on my spare partition?

As an alternative I thought I would Create a New User in my existing Win 8.1 installation. This also doesn't work as (trying it twice) it just produces a black screen showing only the cursor.

Has Microsoft totally lost it?
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 14th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    justaquestion
    Don't take this as gospel, but try formatting the particular partition to a dynamic disk instead of GPT, you could try this in disk management by right clicking on my computer icon, I think you will have to convert the whole drive though.

As regards dual booting I think its great, I have windows 7 and two instances of windows 10 on my computer, one of the 10's is used for banking only, though a lot of people might say "why" I feel its an extra security measure.

One invaluable tool to use for dual booting that I have used very often is EasyBCD, google it, what it does is, you can easily edit the boot start up menu to include the option to boot into another OS.

If you really want to do this, another option is to make a backup of your OS using Macrium Reflect or Acronis to an external drive then convert the whole drive to a dynamuic disk, repartition and put back your backup.
    Last edited by justaquestion; 14-10-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    • roytom
    • By roytom 14th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    thanks again for the advice - it all helps.

The GPT stumbling block is, in my case, totally impossible to solve easily as you correctly say the whole hard disk needs to be converted and it isn't worth the risk.

Just for an alternative I'll try to install Ubuntu onto the spare partition which my tests (without installing it) suggest is possible. Therefore I wonder why Win 7,8 or 10 cannot install on a GPT drive seeing as Windows 8.1 is already on it!

Moving on, G-Parted is amazing (suggested above, many thanks) it comes complete with its own Linux distro.

There's some outstanding issues that are niggling me. My hard disk has about 4 hidden recovery or other useless partitions. I suspect that when Win 10 became unusable (it upgraded to 10CE and then got into an endless loop) and I used the Rescue USB of Win 8 it created yet another rescue partition. I need to tackle these at some point, but probably not now.

Lastly I cannot get straight into the BIOS or boot from a USB device without going through Windows 8 Recovery etc. Its an ASUS X555LA and its stated that F2 triggers the BIOS mode - not true. I've tried changing the settings in the BIOS (to allow access) but this makes no difference. Any suggestions?

thanks
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    From Windows 8 and later its a feature called Fast Startup that effectively disables access to the BIOS from the POST screen. To get into the BIOS now you're supposed to do an advanced restart and select the "enter setup utility" option.

Or just take the hard drive out and the machine will have no option but to enter BIOS
    • roytom
    • By roytom 17th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    Thanks, it works! I can now access the Firmware.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,980Users online

Martin's Twitter