Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SRRAE
    • By SRRAE 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SRRAE
    Chain power strips (extention cords) please read first
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    Chain power strips (extention cords) please read first 11th Oct 17 at 6:11 PM
    OK
    Im wondering if it is OK to chain extension cords in this situation.

I have a number of retro games consoles and the surge protector is just a mass of cables and with many of the old plugs, they are a lot larger and cover usually the ones next to it or opposite it.

I have an 8 way surge protector each plug has its own switch.

3 devices will be plugged in to the surge protector directly,
    my TV (4 amps max)
    a device to convert the analogue SCART to HDMI (1amp)
    a scart selector 1amp

In the remaining 5 plugs I want to put an 1 or 2 gang extension and I plug the power for the console in to the extensions. Each console is between 1.3 to 0.8 amps.

When I wish to play something, I use the surge protector to power the TV and devices and turn on the plug just being used for the console I want to play.

Its better and tidier than having 8-10 consoles plus TV plugged in all the time.

But is this safe enough? The amps should get no where near the 13 amp limit of the surge protector which I think should be better on the electrics.

Thoughts
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 11th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 5,029 Thanks
    societys child
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    I don't see a problem.

• Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    So long as the whole lot comes to less than 13A, it should be fine.

There's a couple of things to consider when daisy-chaining lots of extension leads...

1. A 13A fuse will not blow at 14A. It might eventually blow at 20A, but by then the plug will probably have melted. So don't rely on the fuse, and don't overload extension leads with high-power appliances.
    2. If you overdo it with the total length of the leads, then you can get a situation where the resistance of all the wire is so high that the fuse could take some time to blow even if there was a serious short circuit at the far end.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • westom
    • By westom 12th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    westom
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    In the remaining 5 plugs I want to put an 1 or 2 gang extension and I plug the power for the console in to the extensions. Each console is between 1.3 to 0.8 amps.
    Originally posted by SRRAE
    Daisy chaining has always been a fire hazard. Extensions on a power strip are only for temporary (ie 30 day) operation. Also considered a fire hazard.

Each power strip must have its own wall receptacle connection.

That 13 amp number is only a ballpark number so that layman can add numbers for human safety. For example, seven 100 watt light bulbs may demand 50 amps from their 15 amp circuit. And not trip a circuit breaker.

Reasons why are also why power strips must not be daisy chained. Too electrically complex at a layman level. But layman can learn one simple fact. Never daisy chain power strips. And extension cords are only for temporary service.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    So long as you turn it all off at the wall when you're not there, what's the problem?
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 13th Oct 17, 1:44 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:44 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:44 AM
    Im wondering if it is OK to chain extension cords in this situation.
    Originally posted by SRRAE
    No, it's not.

You clearly don't have enough socket outlets. The correct action is to have a sufficient number of socket outlets installed by an Electrician.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 13th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5,239 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    I've really no idea why you want to do this. Why not keep your current configuration and use some sort of cable management product to keep things tidy?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin