Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mobyduck
    • By Mobyduck 11th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mobyduck
    Amazon, my worst buying experience ever.
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    Amazon, my worst buying experience ever. 11th Oct 17 at 6:09 PM
    I recently ordered a case of organic cider vinegar from Amazon and was given a delivery date 4th to 6th October. This came and went with no sign of my order. I then received another notification to the effect that delivery had been updated 9th to 11th October. It is now 6 pm on the 11th and still no sign of the package. This really is frustrating, as I have been virtually tied to the house expecting delivery. I stopped buying from Amazon a couple of years ago because of poor delivery times, but thought they might now have improved. Not so. Worse than ever. An absolute nightmare. I have definitely finished with the company, now. Totally incompetent. My advice is steer clear.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    If this is your worst buying experience ever, you have lived a charmed life.

The tracking will update when your item is out for delivery, which clearly has not happened yet. You can also specify a safe place or neighbour to take delivery if you're not there.

Perhaps it is time to untie yourself from the house.
    • Mobyduck
    • By Mobyduck 11th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mobyduck
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    I was told on Friday that it had been despatched, which tells me to prepare for delivery. This was when they gave me a new delivery date. The deadline has now expired, and at my age, 83, I don't find it easy to cope with the frustration of all this. It takes Amazon three days to reply to an email query. They are pretty useless. Even worse than when I last dealt with them. I shall have to ensure that I am at home tomorrow. Lord knows how long it would take for them to re-allocate the order if I wasn't home when they called.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 11th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 22,762 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    The best way to communicate with Amazon is Live Chat.

The have always sorted out any problems I have ever had.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    I was told on Friday that it had been despatched, which tells me to prepare for delivery. This was when they gave me a new delivery date. The deadline has now expired, and at my age, 83, I don't find it easy to cope with the frustration of all this. It takes Amazon three days to reply to an email query. They are pretty useless. Even worse than when I last dealt with them. I shall have to ensure that I am at home tomorrow. Lord knows how long it would take for them to re-allocate the order if I wasn't home when they called.
    Originally posted by Mobyduck
    No, you don't have to stay in tomorrow! Check the tracking in the morning, if it doesn't say out for delivery then you've no need to stay home. If it is out for delivery then let them know where else they can leave it.

You're making this into far more of an issue than it needs to be
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    This experience will obviously leave you with a bad taste in the mouth...
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    Is the item actually being sold by Amazon or rather a company selling on the Amazon platform
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 12th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 9,723 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    I have shopped with Amazon for years...and am , generally speaking, very happy with them.

I ordered an item from the a couple of weeks ago, and it was on Prime - so expected next day delivery...Amazon sent me an email apologising, but it was not currently available, they gave me the option to cancel or to wait - I chose to wait...Amazon have kept me updated via email...and last night I was told it is on its way and should arrive today.....I think this was reasonable service.

In the past when items have not arrived when expected, I have complained to Amazon and been given very reasonable compensation (ranging from keeping the item for free to being given a month free on my Prime membership.)

No company is perfect, but I find Amazon to be a very decent place to deal with.

(Although their Logistics delivery service is absolute pants!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 23,104 Posts
    • 59,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    Contact Amazon on the site and ask for a call back. I've always had one immediately.

Never had any problems with delivery, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 12th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I have about 5-10 deliveries per month and have no real problems, you get a despatch email and another "we are delivering your item today" email and there is usually working tracking. I have had items delivered after the date on the order, and last week a same day didn't arrive until the following, but generally a good experience
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Oct 17, 2:12 PM
    • 9,948 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As a frequent user of Amazon i must say that all in all they are my best buying experience ever .
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    The deadline has now expired, and at my age, 83, I don't find it easy to cope with the frustration of all this. It takes Amazon three days to reply to an email query.
    I think you need someone to sit with you and explain how Amazon works. It's a direct seller, but it's also a platform for other sellers. If you have a complaint or query, go to the "Contact us" page and either have a "Live (text) chat" or request an immediate call back via your telephone.

It sounds as if your product has been ordered from another seller on the Amazon platform. If that is the case, they may well not respond to E-Mails as quickly as Amazon themselves.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 12th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    pattycake
    I tend to use the Amazon Pass My Parcel service. My order is delivered to a Spar shop 10 minutes walk away from my home. If it's something a bit bigger or heavier, there is car parking.

Stuff comes much quicker than a home delivery and I receive email notification and the a text when it's there. I ordered a number of items on Friday afternoon last week. Saturday one was at the shop, a couple more on Sunday and the order completed by Monday morning. All delivered for free.

Kudos to Amazon.
    • Mobyduck
    • By Mobyduck 12th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mobyduck
    Well, I have just checked and my order is sitting 45 miles up the road in Northampton. It's fine folks telling me I should be doing this or that, but I shouldn't have all this hassle, when I ordered on the assumption that it would be delivered in six days at the outside. All I wanted was to place an order and have it delivered. Not a lot to ask.
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions, and hopefully my order will arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how it ends up.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 12th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 17,282 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I think Amazon are brill. I had a missed item card, went to Post office who told me it had been signed for and collected.
    Amazon responded same day, and send replacement package for next day delivery. They could have told me to take it up with PO as it has been signed for.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - /25 / Lose weight 29.0 lbs / 30lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £900/£5050
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 18,899 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's fine folks telling me I should be doing this or that, but I shouldn't have all this hassle
    I think it might suit you better to buy your stuff in a physical shop.

Internet ordering may be a relatively new phenomenon, but mail order has been around for decades.
    Nothing you have described is any different from waiting for the postman to deliver mail order years ago.
    • philatio
    • By philatio 13th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    philatio
    I recently ordered a TV from Amazon.
    Faulty. Then the replacement was faulty too.
    Weeks of messing about trying to send it back. Multiple courier failures. Amazon customer service lying to me. Couriers lying to me. Refunds going wrong. Package going missing.. but then not going missing. Promised compensation not appearing.

But compared to "my vinegar is a few days late" I suppose I got off lightly.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    At the age of 83 it seems rather optimistic to order a whole case of organic cider vinegar.
    • roscoecat
    • By roscoecat 13th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    roscoecat
    Amazon is one of the better and more reliable ones out there, I have to say, compared to Hermes/DPD/etc.

I know the feeling of waiting around for a delivery that never came at the time it was supposed to... but... I do agree with others that if this is your worst delivery experience, then it's actually not that bad.

Once Amazon didn't deliver something to me on time, and I complained, they refunded the delivery charge instantly, with no fuss.
    • Mobyduck
    • By Mobyduck 13th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mobyduck
    Well, at six o'clock to-night, the stuff still hadn't been delivered. This is now beyond a joke. I have just cancelled the order and asked them to refund. Thoroughly unprofessional. Enough is enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter