Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 11th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,384Posts
    • 3,672Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    Bankruptcy and bequests
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:31 PM
    Bankruptcy and bequests 11th Oct 17 at 5:31 PM
    (not me!)

If someone went BR and had a bequest in a will already left but not available till a 3rd party died, could the insolvency place a charge on it ot demand it?

a relative has a portion of a property (about 20%) due when the surviving partner passes away and the property is sold....
    Instead of picking fault, pick up a life........ you might like it
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 36,050 Posts
    • 151,598 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    I would have thought that they don't inherit until the surviving partner passes away. Up to that point it is just that they are aware of a future inheritance.
    • Mouse007
    • By Mouse007 11th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Mouse007
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:08 PM

could the insolvency place a charge on it Sort of yes (a restriction could be lodged with Land Registry) ot demand it NO ?
    Originally posted by maxmycardagain
    The Insolvency Service stand in the shoes of the bankrupt, acquiring their rights, nothing more. This is an asset of the bankrupt, just one that can't be converted until certain events occur.

This would therefore be treated as a long term asset and the IS have to wait to collect.

See 31.5.59 A reversionary interest in a trust here
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 11th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:30 PM
    The Insolvency Service stand in the shoes of the bankrupt, acquiring their rights, nothing more. This is an asset of the bankrupt, just one that can't be converted until certain events occur.

This would therefore be treated as a long term asset and the IS have to wait to collect.

See 31.5.59 A reversionary interest in a trust here
    Originally posted by Mouse007
    Post-discharge (auto or early) the inheritance reverts to the person named though?
    • Mouse007
    • By Mouse007 11th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Mouse007
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    Post-discharge (auto or early) the inheritance reverts to the person named though?
    Nope, it's gone.

All assets of the bankrupt (except excepted* assets) belong to the IS unless they disown them (unlikely here).

You or others can however offer to buy the beneficial interest back (at a big discount perhaps - see link).

* excepted (exempted) assets are the normal household stuff required for basic living (Bed, cooker, TV etc and household provisions).
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    theres 2 amounts 2 different wills/people, 1 will have to change her will if he goes BR, the other i dont know about....maybe/maybe not
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 11th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    I suppose - technically - its just a wish on a list, either could be in a care home years eating the money at £600/week...

All to play for as they say
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    Is it an assett if the will is changed post-BR?
    • Mouse007
    • By Mouse007 11th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Mouse007
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    Is it an assett if the will is changed post-BR?
    It's not an asset until the will maker dies (the will maker can't change their will after death) ....

... my earlier answers assumed someone was dead

you can change a will anytime before you die
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 12th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    TheGardener
    When I went BR, my parents were elderly, as one of their two children it was already clear to the family that on their death, all their remaining assets (including property)would be left 50/50 to me and my sibling. I didn't tell my OR that I had elderly parents who 'might' die during my BR year - why would I do that - it would be a ridiculous suggestion. Neither did the OR ask "have you got any relative who might die in the next 12 mths and leave you an asset?"

The OR does not to my knowledge have the right or inclination to secure an asset that is not really an asset at all. Until the benefactor dies - there is no asset and I wouldn't even mention it to the OR unless the BR has already been legally gifted (as a realisable asset) the asset during the benefactors lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,394Users online

Martin's Twitter