Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sukhraj.bal
    • By sukhraj.bal 11th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sukhraj.bal
    My BT Hell
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    My BT Hell 11th Oct 17 at 4:49 PM
    I was wondering if anyone could help.

I recently made the massive mistake of subscribing to BT tv phone and internet. After installation happened on monday, by wednesday i realised the TV was not for me. So i called BT to tell them i would like to cancel and assumed everything would be fine as i was in my 14 day cooling off period.

To my horror, the BT advisor told me the cooling off period was from the date i ordered rather than the date of installation! i signed up for £48 per month and if wanted to cancel i would have to pay £48 x 12 months. Although from when i made the order to when the service was installed was 31 days apart. What is the point of the cooling off period when i had no service during this time? I understand it isnt a try before you buy service, but i had paid installation fees so i haven't tried any thing before i've bought it, i have paid first.

My questions is how do i get out of this? this seems so unfair, and feel like BT are trapping me into a contract. I appreciate this was in the terms and conditions, but in my opinions these were not read out to me, or i have misunderstood.

I just cant seem to get my head round the cooling off period, what is the point of it when i didnt have a service during that time to cool off from?

Can anyone help?
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 11th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    BT's own terms state:

cooling-off period – the period from the date the agreement is made until 14 days after:
     the equipment (if any) is delivered;
     the service start date; or
     the day you receive your order confirmation;
    whichever is latest.

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 11th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 22,518 Posts
    • 56,108 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    Cannot help with immediate cessation of contract; but if you do find yourself forced to continue keep an eye on changes to the price/channel offering, as these count as a change of T&Cs and you can exercise the break clause at that point.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin