Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 11th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 708Posts
    • 457Thanks
    David Aston
    The Last Post
    • 11th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    The Last Post 11th Oct 17 at 4:21 PM
    As someone who served at RAF Khormaksar from 1964 until 1966, I was rather bound to have a look at the new BBC1 series.
    I couldn't in all seriousness have expected it to be made in The Yemen. Certainly the desert scenery they have used in South Africa is fine as far as I remember.
    I am hoping there are fellow service men/women and of course civilians who served there over that period who can help fill in some holes for me. Presumably those of us left will be aged late sixties onwards. My leaky memory recalls the Lido at Steamer Point, and the shopping centre near there. Indeed, I have just had a look at the Omega watch my loved ones clubbed together to get me in 64 as a birthday present. "Bhots of Aden" on the guarantee.
    (Incidentally, removing the fifty odd year old watch from it's box to check the dealers details has resulted in the hands starting to move after a gap of thirty or more years, I would think!)
    I don't recall if I would ever have had reason to go to little Aden, and had no knowledge of BP and it's club over there, unless I have indeed forgotten.
    The series itself, appears to be decent drama.
    Again, perhaps a poster may know if there was a small airstrip into which the young newly weds could have been flown. I do feel that it was Khormaksar, in which case the Beeb could have used a bit of CGI or something, to make the base look like the mini Heathrow that it was in those days. A few Argosy aircraft strewn about, at least.
    I actually found the SAS representation utterly unconvincing. Can't exactly say why. The young Scot who was allowed to go on the mission with defective feet and a Dad obsession didn't help. Any ex SAS would presumably not be monitoring these forums I guess.
    If there are any fellow servers out there, I will welcome your comments. Or indeed anyone's comments on the series so far.
Page 1
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying it or not.

I don't really like the scary situations, snipers and the like.

Plus, they seem to be going off in a jeep, sorry, Land Rover on their own a lot, which doesn't seem terribly wise.

Also a bit confused as to why wives and families are so close to what is obviously a hotbed of danger, yet said wives were able to drive on their own to a beach resort.

It's all a bit confusing, really.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 13th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Pyxis,
    My memories being of the Khormaksar/Steamer Point side of Aden, does mean that I can't throw any light on the notion of the two women swanning off on their own to the BP club. Certainly we leapt into buses and taxi's to go shopping or for a swim at The Lido, with no fears for ourselves' through the 64-66 period of my tour.
    I was perhaps a bit harsh on the Scottish SAS lad, his blisters could have formed during the yomp. Mind you, the glamorous photographer lavishing suncream? on the young squaddie did seem ridiculous.
    Anyway, it does seem as though these forums may not have many fellow ex servers looking on. I have just performed a quick Google of military forums. Even they don't look particularly promising!
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 17th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 17th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 17th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    A bit naff, replying to my own posts, I guess. However, I have finally dragged myself into the 21st Century, by joining Facebook.
    Plenty on Aden up to a point. Most either before my time, or just after. If I am that bothered, I will have to look up an RAF veterans Association I suppose.
    Will continue to watch The Last Post in the short term, although with The Walking Dead firing up again shortly, it might not get a look in!!!
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 17th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    cbrown372
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 17th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    I've recorded it out of interest as my Dad was originally called up to go to Aden so I thought it would be interesting to watch but I haven't started with it yet.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 17th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    • 17th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    I did watch the last episode, but it's getting scary for me now, in view of what happened in that episode, re the boy.

It's a bit too close to current affairs, I suppose.

Plus I really don't understand why they have families with them when they are in an obviously dangerous place.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 18th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 18th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 18th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    cbrown
    You will have gathered it wasn't filmed in Aden, as was, so no connections for your Dad there.
    For the rest, it may prove to be good drama in the long term. It's military accuracy, or otherwise will perhaps only concern those of us ancient nerds who actually served during the time portrayed.
    Pyxis
    I haven't as yet watched the episode on which you comment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,040Posts Today

7,034Users online

Martin's Twitter