Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catkins
    • By catkins 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 5,478Posts
    • 11,596Thanks
    catkins
    Mouldy mushrooms from Aldi
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    Mouldy mushrooms from Aldi 11th Oct 17 at 3:58 PM
    I am not really a fan of Aldi. Me and OH are vegetarian so, obviously, eat lots of fruit and veg. I find that the quality is not very good in Aldi and they don't last any time at all.

Anyway, on Saturday I needed to buy some mushrooms for a meal I was making on Sunday. Me and OH went to visit some friends and had to pass Aldi on the way. As we only wanted mushrooms it seemed sensible to get them there.

All their packs of mushrooms looked a bit ropey but I picked out the best looking one. It had a date of 11th October which is today (4 days after I bought them).

I opened the pack on Sunday and found that apart from almost all of them starting to go brown, a few at the bottom were mouldy. I have actually never seen a mouldy mushroom before.

I decided to contact Aldi so sent them an email. Their response was to say they would inform the Manager of the store and if I went back with the packaging and receipt I would get a refund. For a start I had thrown the packaging away and secondly it would cost more in fuel to go back than the £1.30 refund.

Not impressed with them at all. A while ago I complained to Tesco about a product which cost less than £1 and they sent me a £10 voucher.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    Not impressed with them at all. A while ago I complained to Tesco about a product which cost less than £1 and they sent me a £10 voucher.
    Originally posted by catkins
    You did well. I complained to Tesco when a jar of pesto exploded as I took the lid off and hit the ceiling. I think it had fermented. Try cleaning pesto off a ceiling with textured paint. Not fun. All Tesco did was send me my money back.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 3,520 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    All they need to do is offer you a refund - it's not their problem if it would cost you more to go and get it or that you've thrown the packaging away. If they went around handing out £10 vouchers they wouldn't be able to beat all the competition on price.

I shop at my local, recently opened, Aldi all the time. I've never had any problem at all with their fruit and veg. And I buy a lot of fruit and veg - and I'm quite fussy about quality.

I bought a bag of oranges from Sainsbury's the other day because I was passing and I needed them - one was completely mouldy. In fact, when I shopped at Sainsbury's every week (before our Aldi opened), I had far more issues with food going off.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 5,478 Posts
    • 11,596 Thanks
    catkins
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    All they need to do is offer you a refund - it's not their problem if it would cost you more to go and get it or that you've thrown the packaging away. If they went around handing out £10 vouchers they wouldn't be able to beat all the competition on price.

I shop at my local, recently opened, Aldi all the time. I've never had any problem at all with their fruit and veg. And I buy a lot of fruit and veg - and I'm quite fussy about quality.

I bought a bag of oranges from Sainsbury's the other day because I was passing and I needed them - one was completely mouldy. In fact, when I shopped at Sainsbury's every week (before our Aldi opened), I had far more issues with food going off.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I buy mushrooms every week - sometimes from Tesco, sometimes from Sainsburys, sometimes from M&S and sometimes from the market. I have never ever had even one mouldy one.

At my Aldo the fruit and veg is rubbish. I rarely shopped there and certainly won't be shopping there again.

They may not be obliged to give me anything but their attitude stinks. They could have sent me the money. Why should I have to go back to the shop? Also why would I have kept the packaging? I took the cellophane off as soon as I got home and threw it in the bin. Is that not what people normally do? No way was I going to rummage through the bin for it

If I had bought the mushrooms on the sell by date that would be different. I bought them Saturday and the date was today! They would have walked off on their own by today.
    Last edited by catkins; 11-10-2017 at 8:40 PM.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 11th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 7,972 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 9:23 PM

Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I think the problem with Aldi and Lidl (apart from the fact that they don't refrigerate their fruit and veg) is that the quality seems to vary massively from store to store. Some people seem to have a great experience, but honestly I have *never* had a good experience at any of my local ones. I live within walking distance of a Lidl but I don't bother even trying to shop there anymore as it's filthy and it stinks of over-ripe fruit and veg, and it's been like that for years. Another Lidl a short drive away is the same and whenever I've tried to buy fruit and veg there it barely lasts a couple of days and is never that great to start with. I just don't see the saving when I end up throwing half (and more) of everything I buy away. And just to prove that it's not snobbery, there's a local, very expensive organic farm shop near to me that I don't buy fruit and veg from either as it's generally not that great and doesn't last (they do sell delicious milk and butter though )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

5,955Users online

Martin's Twitter